What's new

65Mbps Threshold - Anybody Ever Exceed This?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

BJ1200

Occasional Visitor
Using speed tests (Ookla, Speakeasy, TestMy, Cox, etc) we have never get either laptop to exceed 65Mpbs. It doesn't mater if connected through Cat6 or Wireless AC. It creeps right up to it, but never over 65.

Both houses have Cox Ultimate Plan (150Mbps) and both use the AC66U router. In fact, last year Cox in Arizona doubled the speeds of the Preferred, Premier, and Ultimate Plans at no charge, putting it up to 300Mbps.

The "network" connection, I think called the "Link speed" shows 1Gbps wired, and wirelessly (5ghz) it's always above 350Mbps.

Last month I upgraded the Moto modem from SB6141 to their newest, the SB6183, made zero difference.
Both laptop NIC's are the Intel Dual Band AC7260.

Last edited:
Using speed tests (Ookla, Speakeasy, TestMy, Cox, etc) we have never get either laptop to exceed 65Mpbs. It doesn't mater if connected through Cat6 or Wireless AC. It creeps right up to it, but never over 65.

There is almost certainly something external limiting your speed. Even my "old" RT-N66U tops 135Mbps at the tail end of a modem>router>switch>access point network (both the router and the access point are RT-N66U).

Can you unplug all the local network and connect a computer directly to the modem to compare?

When you connect the laptops via Ethernet, do you shut off the wireless radios? 65 Mbps sounds like a 1x1 N maxed out in 20 MHz mode.

Is QoS turned on?

The Traffic Manager - QOS is turned off. I think I read from Rmerlin long time ago who said turn this off.

Yes, I turn off the radios when I test with Rj45.

I did test 3-4 times direct to Surfboard modem over last couple years. Last time was a couple months ago and it was 64Mbps. I also tried the Glasnost test to see if Cox was throttling. It was clean.

As thiggins mentioned, sounds like the wireless adapter in your laptop is not up to the task. You may need to get the Intel ac7260(or similar) which is rated at 866.7mbps and swap out the card in your laptop for the Intel.

I'm on a 250 down/20 up with a ac87U and the Intel ac7260 and I'm getting 327mbps wireless down and the same wired.

I did test 3-4 times direct to Surfboard modem over last couple years. Last time was a couple months ago and it was 64Mbps. I also tried the Glasnost test to see if Cox was throttling. It was clean.
Then your router is not at fault. Either you have an old computer that cannot manage faster speeds, or Cox needs to repair their connection to your house.

As thiggins mentioned, sounds like the wireless adapter in your laptop is not up to the task. You may need to get the Intel ac7260(or similar)

As mentioned above, we have the AC7260 in both dell XPS laptops. Like dlandiss mentioned, this must be a Cox issue. Although it seems odd this would be happening at both home, which are 12 miles apart.

One last thing. About 3weeks ago our net speeds went down to a crawl at 1AM. I called Cox and they reprovisioned the modem - no change. I changed out modem to the backup (SB6121) and still at a crawl (.5Mbps). With Cox on the phone I connected Rj45 directly to the modem- still at a crawl. Both calls they said no outages were reported. I put the original modem back called to have it authenticated. That tech physically looked up Cox accounts in the neighborhood - she said there were definitely issues in our area and would submit the ticket/notification. I went to bed. At 7AM everything was back to normal. Hmmm!

Are you maybe confusing 65MB/s with 65Mbps?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!