What's new

6A U/UTP vs F/UTP

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

przemekwawa

Regular Contributor
Hi, I am building cable infrastructure for my home:
-all cables 15m long
-currently only from RT-AX86U to NAS and ESXi server
They should be future proof, so i am thinking about 6A which is capable of 10gbit. I am planning to put together about 4 cables.
So the question is - can/should I use F/UTP or U/UTP? I will not use any patchpanel, no additional ground for shielding.
The problem is that I cant get currently any patch cable 6A U/UTP, only F/UTP, but I am not sure if it would work properly without addional ground.

As much as possible, I use U/FTP which you did not include in your options. Its superior to both F/UTP and U/UTP in terms of SNR, and because the design allows for smaller gauge wire, its easier to terminate, easier to bend, and is smaller diameter cable. It is readily available on Amazon in reels, but look at product photos to make sure that the product is actually U/FTP.

Good/better quality Cat5e will be more than good enough at only 15M long with 10GbE speeds.

What are some quality cable manufacturers?

Quality Ethernet Cable and Jacks

Good/better quality Cat5e will be more than good enough at only 15M long with 10GbE speeds.

What are some quality cable manufacturers?

Quality Ethernet Cable and Jacks

But U/FTP is superior to F/UTP and U/UTP, and if there is any price difference, its minor. The only reason I wouldn't run U/FTP is if it wasn't available for a particular need, e.g., outdoor cabling that requires UV resistance or direct burial. U/FTP is pretty hard to find with those features.

I looked in the link you showed, and someone suggested 23 AWG cable. That stuff is a PITA to terminate. Its hard to find termination plugs sized for 23 AWG, and its a PITA to straighten tightly wound UTP wire pairs for the termination process.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!