What's new

87U, adjusting 5GHz bandwidth

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Allograft

Regular Contributor
on the 87u, one can select the adjustable bandwidth 20/40 for the router to select which size based on environmental suitability. I've seen some that can 20/40/80 adjustable for 5GHz, but it looks like with the 87u that the admin has to pick a size and there are not adjustments that can be made by router. So then if I pick 80, only ac clients can use any 5GHz. Is that about right?

No you can choose 80mhz for the 5 ghz band and still connect just fine with N devices. As far as letting the router choose just leave it set to auto. As a rule of thumb most people select 20 mhz for 2.4 band and 80 mhz for 5 ghz band. If you have a AC router but dont have any AC clients yet you could choose 40 mhz if you wanted.

interesting about the 80 band and n

I don't have an auto option on the control panel for the 5 GHz on 87u, though I do have a 20/40 option on 2.4

interesting about the 80 band and n

I don't have an auto option on the control panel for the 5 GHz on 87u, though I do have a 20/40 option on 2.4

Now that i looked at my 68R i guess there is no auto option but there is 20/40/80 so that in a since is auto. Not sure about the 87U i dont own one. I just leave mine set to 80 mhz because my Samsung phone does do AC but all my other clients are N and it works great with all of them. I dont use the 2.4 GHz at all here i have it disabled as there is just to many other AP's in my area and that band is very congested.

Last edited by a moderator:
yeah, my 87u doesn't have the 20/40/80 option. I can only choose either 20 or 40 or 80. My 2.4 has 20 or 40 or 20/40, which does seem like the auto function. Alas.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!