What's new

88U vs 86U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

If 2000mbps can’t never be reach by LAN-WLAN throughput, I have no problems to purchase a LACP capable switch and keep the AC86U.

Link aggregation doesn't sum the speed for a single connection. It allows 2 connections with a maximum 1000mbps speed each.

I didn't knew that VRAM issue. That's a more reason to make me think of replacing my AC86U by an AC88U. Do you think it will be fixed in the future?

Asus already addressed this a few weeks ago, latest firmware releases now moved some of those settings to JFFS, allowing them to bump their limits up to 2500 characters instead of 1000.

Could you tell me if this is possible? Even with the AC88U?
If 2000mbps can’t never be reach by LAN-WLAN throughput, I have no problems to purchase a LACP capable switch and keep the AC86U.

LACP only helps when you have multiple concurrent clients. A single client will always be limited to the throughput of a single Ethernet port. LACP means that two clients might be able to reach 2 Gbps total, provided the NAS can feed that (that would typically require SSDs on both ends).

what is the size of nvram memory in 86u ?

LACP only helps when you have multiple concurrent clients. A single client will always be limited to the throughput of a single Ethernet port. LACP means that two clients might be able to reach 2 Gbps total, provided the NAS can feed that (that would typically require SSDs on both ends).

I understand. But LACP is at least useful for my other purpose: two wireless clients transferring data from/to the NAS at the same time with a bandwidth of 1000 mbps each one. This will be possible, won’t it?

what is the size of nvram memory in 86u ?
Doing 'nvram show', I get 64473 bytes with Merlin 382.1-2.

I understand. But LACP is at least useful for my other purpose: two wireless clients transferring data from/to the NAS at the same time with a bandwidth of 1000 mbps each one. This will be possible, won’t it?

Wireless is a shared medium. Two clients connected at 866 Mbps would still only be able to globally reach 866 Mbps combined.