What's new

A couple of noob questions.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Pierino

Very Senior Member
Let me start by saying that I am running build 246.19b on my rt-n66u.

I noticed yesterday that even though i set my 2.4ghz radio to channel 11 it kept showing as channel 1 in both the wireless log and inssider.
I downgraded to 246.19 and it was the same, so I tried the restore to factory default in the GUI and that didn't solve the problem.
I did notice that after the reset I had to set everything back up but still would show channel 1 when on 11, the other channels worked correctly.
So then i decided to try "mtd-erase -d nvram" and reboot in telnet and that fixed the channel problem but noticed that I was not prompted to enter in all my info as the factory default settings. Should a nvram erase not wipe all those settings out?

Second question is, should my nvram usage be so high with just having a different SSID for the 5ghz radio and only smart access enabled ?
NVRAM usage 35640 / 65536 bytes, seems strange that it is over the 32k that the router originally came setup with.
Btw I have done the 32k to 64k cfe conversion.

Thanks in advance for any answers.

Btw I have done the 32k to 64k cfe conversion.

Thanks in advance for any answers.

Sorry, I don't have a answer but a n00b question as well.
Why did you do the 64k cfe conversion? :confused:

To be able to install dd-wrt. In the end I was happier with RMerlin's fw than dd-wrt at this point but I want the option to switch if I want. After all the router was meant to have 64k nvram.

Since 3.0.0.3.144, stock fws has 64K NVRAM support enabled. So, for versions > .144 the router comes with 64k nvram :)

That's done through the fw at kernel level. That doesn't alter the cfe. If you were to flash dd-wrt on your router it would only have 34k nvram.
Those of us who have done the conversion will have 64k regardless of fw.

Thx for sharing.

I hope anyone can help with your problem.
All I know is the router can shift channels if it "senses" trouble.
This can be switched off at Wireless->Professional->Enhanced interference management->Disable.
But it sounds like you have something else going on.

Try a different web browser, or make sure you delete your browser cache. I've seen a few weird webui issues in the past that were caused by the browser caching old versions of the pages.

Using a bit over 32 KB is normal. Asuswrt-Merlin has a lot of settings for OpenVPN, which even if not used, will take some space.

Thanks Eric.
I take it doing an nvram erase from telnet doesn't erase all settings like the restore to default does?

Last edited:
Thanks Eric.
I take it doing an nvram erase from telnet doesn't erase all settings like the restore to default does?

If you've done the nvram erase that will erase all your settings, it clears the memory in the router where your settings are stored. The router does prompt you for new settings when you do a factory reset, but they're two different operations (clear nvram and factory reset). In fact, I'm pretty sure from my experience that the factory reset thing does NOT erase all your settings, while nvram erase does.

Last edited:
If you've done the nvram erase that will erase all your settings, it clears the memory in the router where your settings are stored. The router does prompt you for new settings when you do a factory reset, but they're two different operations (clear nvram and factory reset). In fact, I'm pretty sure from my experience that the factory reset thing does NOT erase all your settings, while nvram erase does.

That's what I wanted to know. Thanks.