What's new

A few questions before I purchase

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

With the drives - get at least two of the same model/size, and populate those bays - and an external USB 3.0 drive to back up the NAS box...

Since you'll have at least two bays open, might consider adding a small SSD - 120GB or so, and enable SSD Caching - Fry's had the 850EVO 120GB for $59 over the weekend...

You could always do what I've done - add an exhaust fan to your furniture. They're built much like cooling fans for PCs and other electronic equipment but they use AC instead of DC power.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009OXI2UY/?tag=snbforums-20

I had a controller board go bad in an aquarium LED array due to humidity inside the aquarium canopy. I cut a hole in the top of the canopy towards the back and put the fan on the inside of the canopy out of sight. Dropped the ambient temp 10F and dropped the humidity a whopping 20%.

I've put these in entertainment centers, desks, and all kinds of computer furniture. All you need is a drill with a hole saw and some screws.

Steve/SFX/hti,

I am currently trying to figure the best plan for connection to the HT. As I had indicated earlier I wanted to use the HDMI out to the TV/receiver for some functions although I do not think I will use it that way much. I could be wrong but I am thinking if I wanted to use Chrome on the TV from the NAS so to speak it would need to be HDMI connected correct? I have a completely separate side compartment that I think I will use that has holes bigger than I thought in the back, quite large actually ,that will allow me to connect to the Yamaha and there are no other heat generating items in there with it. I will initially use this spot and monitor the system to see if the temps stay in line with where they need to be. If not I will sacrifice the HDMI connectivity for longevity. I can simply put it on one of the shelves in my office and connect it to the switch in here. You forget the challenge involved in connecting something to a receiver in a set-up like this a few years after the initial install..................... With all the things connected and 7 speakers going out, even with HDMI, it presents a challenge. I have put several systems together for myself and others, always seems like your own is the biggest pain:mad:.

I am clear on the fact that it will stream movies and photos via the LAN connection say to the TV, if I move it I will have to figure this out obviously via the LAN as it will not have the same visual reference as having it directly connected. These are the little quirky things that I will need to sort out, which is honestly some of the fun in doing this. I will just need time which I seem to always be a little short on:rolleyes:.

stevech,

Can I operate the NAS exactly the same way with Chrome etc. via LAN or does it have to be HDMI? All of the documentation from QNAP makes it seem as if it needs to be connected via HDMI to enjoy those tools/options? I realize that you might have answered this above but I want to be sure I understand the answer and how to do this if the HDMI is not required (even though I just fished it in there along with the Ethernet cable:confused:).

Well I took advantage of some time I had waiting on an appointment and ran the HDMI and the Ethernet cable so all I will need to do is plug in the NAS and the drive. I will monitor the temps for sure and the first sign of an issue I will relocate the NAS. I will have the NAS connected to a 16 port switch which is basically feeding everything wired in my house internet signal. It and the other two are gigabit switches. I should see pretty good speed from this. Per previous discussions it should make no difference whether the NAS is directly connected to the router or to the switch to allow outside access, so I should be good to go there.

Basically everything other than tablets, phones and one PC in my sons playroom are wire connected, Yamaha receiver, Panasonic plasma, Xbox one and 360, PS3, Blu-ray, all the DTV DVR's .......

Wireless is a worst case scenario as far as I am concerned, although it works just fine (note to wireless fans and ninjas, don't roast me over that comment).

Studying the OS a little more and reading the manual when I can, tomorrow will be here quickly. :)

Sorry, I'm confused. HDMI on NAS is normally to connect to TV to playback movies stored on the NAS. Takes a pricey NAS with HDMI to do video translation on the fly. I wouldn't buy one, given cheap media players and some TVs and DVD players that have transcoding chips built in, and connect to the LAN.

The NASes all have web browser based admin screens - usable on any browser.

Be sure to try the on-line demos where you control the NAS, on the web sites of Synology and QNAP and others.

I had the TS-459 Pro II before I got the TS-453. The Ts-453 is louder, but I also was using different Hitachi drives. I used Quiet 5900 rpm ones in the 459. The 7200RPM's in the TS-453 are definitely noisier, but I only notice it if have the tv off. Some rubber dampers on the drive mounts would probably help.

stevech,

Can I operate the NAS exactly the same way with Chrome etc. via LAN or does it have to be HDMI? All of the documentation from QNAP makes it seem as if it needs to be connected via HDMI to enjoy those tools/options? I realize that you might have answered this above but I want to be sure I understand the answer and how to do this if the HDMI is not required (even though I just fished it in there along with the Ethernet cable:confused:).

The CHROME that is being talked about is for HD Station which lets use run the Chrome browser on the NAS for use on your TV (via HDMI). I have used it a couple times for watching streaming content, but wouldn't recommend it for use all of the time.

You could manage the NAS on your TV (via QTS app), but you are much better off just managing it from your laptop/ipad/etc.

For laptop/ipad, you would use your favorite modern browser (Chrome/Safari/IE/etc.). You can also use the QManage app on Android/IOS devices which will give you most of basic NAS functions, but not all of the features you would get from you web browser.

Wireless is a worst case scenario as far as I am concerned, although it works just fine (note to wireless fans and ninjas, don't roast me over that comment).

You're roasted, lol :D

While you're waiting on your TVS-471... The Amazon is shipping me a QG-103N, which should be equally interesting.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh Frustration........................................................ I have just learned that I will not get the 6TB drive until tomorrow $&*!, the TVS-471 is coming today ughhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!:mad: Everything was supposed to arrive today, oh well got credit on shipping for the entire deal so................ Find your happy place........................ Find your happy place;)

Oh well one day won't make that much of a difference, not really much I can do with the system till the drive arrives correct? As I understand it all the settings for the NAS are stored onto a drive? A little (actually a lot) bummed on the drive not arriving at the same time.

That QG-103N looks interesting I will look forward to your thoughts on it.

Just pondering on routers as I use the Comcast router now, Based on my equipment list I have supplied which router would you recommend? I can store my Reward points I receive and buy whichever one I want. I am in an approximate 2500 sq. ft. home with the router kind of in 1/3 the middle of the house I guess would be the best way to put it. I know this is not the "Router" section but just wondering. Keep in mind I have no real issue with the current router but I do pay monthly for it and as I get in far corners of the house it still works but does loose signal strength.

Oh well one day won't make that much of a difference, not really much I can do with the system till the drive arrives correct? As I understand it all the settings for the NAS are stored onto a drive? A little (actually a lot) bummed on the drive not arriving at the same time.

Yeah, I've had Amazon do that - one time I order 4 RAM upgrade kits, and they were each individually shipped - Prime is free, but it's wasteful... I think they do that on purpose with high-ticket orders to prevent people from saying they didn't receive a full order and game the system...

In the interim - download and install QFinder on your primary desktop - it's the best way to do the initial setup, and maintenance of your QNAP... Also, break out your smartphone camera and take a pic of your "myqnapcloud" sticker on the top, as you'll need it as some point of the setup. Remember, Drive Bay 1 is the one on the far left... Don't bother doing anything until you get the drive installed...

As for a Router/Modem combo - The Moto/Arris SB6141 is a favorite of many - and for a SOHO router with very good RF, I would recommend the Linksys WRT1900ac - not as feature rich as some, but very good radios, and the firmware is mature.

Amazon cross-docks A LOT. Meaning your packages didn't originate at the same warehouse. Even with items that are identical, they'll often pull them from stock in different places, depending on who the fulfillment provider is.

Understood on the Amazon deal and shipping from different places but I was "Guaranteed" delivery today by Amazon on Tuesday, now it did not happen. The only thing is that due to the previous issue with the bank not seeing the order Amazon took off all the shipping charges which I eluded to earlier. I am kind of miffed that the drive is not coming today but wonder if it would be unethical to still call and complain about the later date. I have pretty much decided I am going to if for no other reason to let them know the seller did not meet their commitment.

Planned the whole day home to accept the delivery and then to set it up this evening and now nada. Not the end of the world and much of the world faces serious situations on a daily basis so I know in the grand scheme of things this is nothing more than a minor (very minor) inconvenience but it does "Chafe" a little so to speak. :mad:

As an update (Hope I am not boring you guys to death with the banter:D) I called Amazon just to let them know and got a credit for the inconvenience which was not my intention at all, I just wanted to let them know the seller "Quantum Wireless" did not meet Amazons "Guaranteed" delivery for today. Each time I have called Amazon they have been very good to deal with. I now have $20 towards my next HGST 6TB drive I guess. I told the customer service rep straight away I was not looking for anything as they had not charged me shipping in the first place but he was kind of adamant about compensating me so good on them.

Still waiting on the NAS arrival.

A curious story... two weeks ago, on a Sunday, I ordered from Amazon a replacement motor for a bathroom vent fan. It was delivered the next day, Monday. No extra shipping charges.

Understood on the Amazon deal and shipping from different places but I was "Guaranteed" delivery today by Amazon on Tuesday, now it did not happen. The only thing is that due to the previous issue with the bank not seeing the order Amazon took off all the shipping charges which I eluded to earlier. I am kind of miffed that the drive is not coming today but wonder if it would be unethical to still call and complain about the later date. I have pretty much decided I am going to if for no other reason to let them know the seller did not meet their commitment.

If they already refunded your shipping, there's probably not much more you can get out of them, even if you do call. I'm a Prime member, so I don't pay shipping but I have gotten $10-20 gift cards out of them in situations like this.

Yeah, I've had Amazon do that - one time I order 4 RAM upgrade kits, and they were each individually shipped - Prime is free, but it's wasteful... I think they do that on purpose with high-ticket orders to prevent people from saying they didn't receive a full order and game the system...

In the interim - download and install QFinder on your primary desktop - it's the best way to do the initial setup, and maintenance of your QNAP... Also, break out your smartphone camera and take a pic of your "myqnapcloud" sticker on the top, as you'll need it as some point of the setup. Remember, Drive Bay 1 is the one on the far left... Don't bother doing anything until you get the drive installed...

As for a Router/Modem combo - The Moto/Arris SB6141 is a favorite of many - and for a SOHO router with very good RF, I would recommend the Linksys WRT1900ac - not as feature rich as some, but very good radios, and the firmware is mature.

I have a seperate Moto Docsis 3.0 cable modem and Asus AC-68u Router. ASUS router has great firmware + 3-4 open source firmware options as well (I flip back and forth between Tomato & Merlin firmware). Prefer keeping them seperate as then you can get best of both worlds, and if one fails is can replace without impacting other.

Funny. I've never used either of them. I actually find the web-based setup to be pretty easy and straight-forward.

Well I guess it's...................................................................................... "All dressed up and nowhere to go"??????? Well the box is nice:D

20150611_195123.jpg

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!