What's new

A few questions using an N66u as an AP?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

EmptyWallet

Occasional Visitor
I have an old N66U, that I haven't bothered upgrading in a long time. I was thinking of purchasing a new ASUS router of the AC variety, and then using my N66U as an AP.

If I purchased an AC66U or 88U, and then ran the N66U off of that as an AP...what would that look like as far as SSIDs go?

Would I have two different SSIDs from the N66U in AP mode (2.4ghz, 5ghz), and then two additional SSIDs from the new AC router (2.4ghz, 5ghz)?

So four SSIDs total? Or would using the N66u in AP mode only grant me one additional SSID and I'd have to choose between 2.4ghz and 5hz on that AP?

Would I have two different SSIDs from the N66U in AP mode (2.4ghz, 5ghz), and then two additional SSIDs from the new AC router (2.4ghz, 5ghz)?

That is the way we run ours--makes troubleshooting easier if every radio has its own name. You can name them the same if you like but we have seen no technical advantage. No real "user" advantage either, since the users only have to log into each radio once and then it is remembered.

Well, I've seem to run into a problem.

First, what I was running originally.

I'm on Suddenlink, 200 down 20 up. 200/20. I had a Motorola SB6121, hooked up to an Asus N66U. I was getting around 110 down on the 2.4GHZ band and 140 down on the 5GHZ band.

I picked up an AC3100 from Best Buy, for $200. Got it on sale. Picked up an SB6191 while I was at it.

I installed the 6191 first, called in the MAC ID, and let 'er rip. Right away my 5GHZ band went up to 180/190ish just from changing out the modem.

Not bad. 2.4 GHZ stayed around 120 or so.

Hooked up the AC3100, updated the firmware, etc. All seemed well.

Standing directly next to the thing, on either band, on any device, I can't pull anything over 50. I've used two phones, a laptop, etc.

Any thoughts? On either band, I am getting the advertise upload speed of 20. I can't crack 50 though on the down, on either band...and most of the time it is hovering around 10 or so.

Surely it's just something I'm overlooking. Yes?

Last edited:
Between 75 and 100.

Restarted the modem, then router. I can't pull over 5 on wireless on either band now on my phone.

Strange. Max I can pull wirelessly on my laptop is 22, wired is 75ish to 100ish.

This all seems very odd.

I went ahead and updated to the latest Merlin Firmware. I read somewhere that Asus routers have some quirks when you update the firmware, and don't hard reset the router.

I never did that after the first firmware upgrade. So, I hard reset it, and BOOM, 5GHZ speeds are back.

2.4GHZ was still lacking. So, I updated to Merlin, hard reset it again, and 2.4GHZ is back up to snuff on my iPhone 7.

What's weird is that my other devices aren't running that fast. My wife's iPhone 6S isn't reaching the same speeds I am.

Honestly...whenever I change channels or channel width....or so anything that takes it off of AUTO....I get slower speeds.

I analyzed my neighborhood and picked widths and channels nobody else was using.

Still slower than auto. Maybe that means it's smarter than me? :)

Still slower than auto. Maybe that means it's smarter than me? :)
Quite possibly. :D

But seriously, did you "forget" the network profiles on your clients and recreate them after the firmware update? Sometimes this is necessary when there is a change in the network drivers on the AP.

Also bear in mind that there are other sources of interference that cannot be see by Wi-Fi analysers, such as baby monitors, A/V senders, game controllers, etc.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!