What's new

A router for 1gbps connection?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Markitch

New Around Here
Hi mates, i'm reading the forum long ago, but now i register it because i have a problem i can't solve.

Im a user of adamo that provides 1gbps conection. I used a asus RT-N66 for 3-4 years working fine. I started with 300mbs connection and never feel something was wrong.

But since a few months i notice that when i donwload a game (steam or origin) i can't browse internet.. i get "resolving Host" and conex is really slow.

I check the router and i can see that core1 goes 95-100% when the speed donwloading get 10MB/s a 10%-15% of my conection. I make a simply test. Connecting the ISP router directly to PC and i get the real connection with no lack of browsing internet. Then the fault is the Asus. I have 380.61 merlin fw, i have HW acceleration ON.. i don't know what more to do so buying a new router.

Thats my question. What router recommend me for using my whole connection?

PD: thanks reading and sorry for my english.

Hi! I'm not sure about your budget, but you could give Linksys WRT1900AC a chance as it will handle everything just fine (it also has one of the best storage performances among its peers). You could also go with another Asus (the RT-AC68U is not bad and had a price reduction), but I would steer clear of Netgear for a while because all of their flagship routers are vulnerable to exploits and Netgear still hasn't released any update so far.

If your ISP supplies a router, use it instead and convert N66 into a AP. You're done.

For consumer routers, consider Asus N56-B1 with Padavan firmware. This router comes with true HWNAT which you won't be able to find in higher priced and so-called premium models from Asus. Additionally you can convert N66 into AP and continue using it.

For non-consumer routers, consider Mikrotik RB750r3 which can saturate 1000/1000 full duplex. Or Ubiquiti ER-X which can saturate 500/500 full duplex or 1Gbps if what you do mostly are download from Internet. Either case you can continue using N66 as AP.

All three routers very good value for their prices.

Last edited:
If your ISP consumer router isnt terrible and is reliable you can use it as long as it has the features you need, otherwise a lot here have suggestions. If however you use QoS than you're going to be looking at mikrotik CCRs or PC based routers. If you dont need QoS and hardware acceleration can be used with the features you want there are many choices.

Thanks for the replies.
The ISP router isn't terrible but hasn't 5ghz wifi.
The ubiquiti router is hard to find here at spain.
So i will take a look at that linksys, but first i will try the ISP router-->netgear switch---> pc/nas/etcetc And the N66 at the living room for Wireless.

Im a user of adamo that provides 1gbps conection. I used a asus RT-N66 for 3-4 years working fine. I started with 300mbs connection and never feel something was wrong.

But since a few months i notice that when i donwload a game (steam or origin) i can't browse internet.. i get "resolving Host" and conex is really slow. ... Then the fault is the Asus. I have 380.61 merlin fw, i have HW acceleration ON.. i don't know what more to do so buying a new router.

Thats my question. What router recommend me for using my whole connection?
Hi,

There seems something wrong in your config due to the errors/delays you get: I suggest a factory default/reset and re-config the router at minimum - then test again. :rolleyes:

When it comes to additional features over the basic router/switching ones, you might consider an ARM-CPU based router (basically all the AC devices from Asus) - the good old MIPS CPU might be overloaded with some features you use.

If it comes to top performance you would need to go for a AC5300 model with 1.4 GHz CPU for your 1 Gbit line, but you can overclock the cheaper models also (as I do with my AC87U) - which might be good enough.

With kind regards
Joe :cool: