What's new

AB-Solution webpage/antivirus problems

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

@TheLyppardMan

SSL traffic inspection by any "antivirus/security" software like ESET works like a middle man between your browser and real destination servers. Generally what you install into browsers/client OS is the self-signed CA certificate of the software i.e. ESET's. I'm sure you've done this step since you have ESET up and running (I assume. If not, then double check with ESET doc or support).

Without digressing into how ESET and alike work, to solve your issue you have two options.

You could have imported Pixelserv CA certificate into Windows trusted root CA certificate store. On Mac platform, the equivalent will be "System Roots" keychain. The right store or keychain is essential for ESET to pick it up I believe. I'm not sure if you've done it correctly.

Let's not spend more time on above option. though you may look into it further on another day if you're interested.

The second option and IMO the optimal solution is to ask ESET to skip SSL check on traffic designated to "pixelserv ip". There is overhead in ESET's inspection. Also, inspecting traffic between browsers and pixelserv-tls is unnecessary because pixelserv-tls only sits on your LAN and by design it does not do any harmful/malicious act.

ESET has a feature known as "Protocol filtering / excluded by IP addresses" that does such selective SSL filtering. So add "pixelserv ip" to ESET's "excluded by IP addresses" list. I believe then you won't see any more warning/errors.

Here is a graphical guide from ESET:
https://support.eset.com/kb5833/?locale=en_US&viewlocale=en_US

Let me know if it works. If not, pls show a screenshot of warning/errors related to SSL/certificates that you may see...

Strangely enough, I was just preparing a response to ask ESET for further advice and discovered that the problem seems to have resolved itself (no idea how, unless CCleaner cleared out something when I did a shut down yesterday evening.

I'll see how it goes, but hopefully it will be OK from this point forward.

Spoke too soon - I had forgotten to hit "Apply" after adding my PC to the list of devices to use the router settings rather than OpenDNS. I'll send the message to ESET and see what they say.

@TheLyppardMan

SSL traffic inspection by any "antivirus/security" software like ESET works like a middle man between your browser and real destination servers. Generally what you install into browsers/client OS is the self-signed CA certificate of the software i.e. ESET's. I'm sure you've done this step since you have ESET up and running (I assume. If not, then double check with ESET doc or support).

Without digressing into how ESET and alike work, to solve your issue you have two options.

You could have imported Pixelserv CA certificate into Windows trusted root CA certificate store. On Mac platform, the equivalent will be "System Roots" keychain. The right store or keychain is essential for ESET to pick it up I believe. I'm not sure if you've done it correctly.

Let's not spend more time on above option. though you may look into it further on another day if you're interested.

The second option and IMO the optimal solution is to ask ESET to skip SSL check on traffic designated to "pixelserv ip". There is overhead in ESET's inspection. Also, inspecting traffic between browsers and pixelserv-tls is unnecessary because pixelserv-tls only sits on your LAN and by design it does not do any harmful/malicious act.

ESET has a feature known as "Protocol filtering / excluded by IP addresses" that does such selective SSL filtering. So add "pixelserv ip" to ESET's "excluded by IP addresses" list. I believe then you won't see any more warning/errors.

Let me know if it works. If not, pls show a screenshot of warning/errors related to SSL/certificates that you may see...
I've gone through this and added Firefox, Internet Explorer and Microsofty Edge to the list of excluded protocols. That has populated the list of filtered application in ESET. It seems to work OK in Firefox, but Microsoft Edge is still giving an error message and ESET is still showing warnings if I use Internet Explorer. I'll try running CCleaner again and rebooting my PC to see if that makes any difference.

Attachments

• 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 428
  • 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 292
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 458
  • 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 419
  • 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 264
I've had to add a second entry for Internet Explorer as I hadn't realised but it's listed in Program Files and also Program Files (x86), but it's still showing warnings, albeit different. Only Firefox seems to be the one that remains silent.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 436
I've gone through this and added Firefox, Internet Explorer and Microsofty Edge to the list of excluded protocols. That has populated the list of filtered application in ESET. It seems to work OK in Firefox, but Microsoft Edge is still giving an error message and ESET is still showing warnings if I use Internet Explorer. I'll try running CCleaner again and rebooting my PC to see if that makes any difference.

Seems you don't like my instructions. :)

I've added 192.168.1.2 to the excluded IP addresses, but I'm still getting weird results as you can see, whether using IE, Firefox or Edge.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 245
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 248
  • 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 260
  • 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 472
I've added 192.168.1.2 to the excluded IP addresses, but I'm still getting weird results as you can see, whether using IE, Firefox or Edge.

All four of these screenshots show different symptoms..

1. DNS filtering worked, but pixelserv failing to give you a response

2. DNS filtering did not work, browser reaching out to Google for a page, but somehow the request URL is messed up

3. DNS filter worked, pixelserv served up the page, but the CA was not imported to the browser (or Windows, depends on which browser it is they all have different way of checking CA validity)

See below
4. I don’t even know what’s going on here, the ad you’re being served up is the page itself going in a loop..

Could you just test all browsers without ESET turned on and make sure they’re all not displaying errors? Otherwise comparing the results like this is hard to determine which software is at fault or misconfigured..

Last edited:
All four of these screenshots show different symptoms..

1. DNS filtering worked, but pixelserv failing to give you a response

2. DNS filtering did not work, browser reaching out to Google for a page, but somehow the request URL is messed up

3. DNS filter worked, pixelserv served up the page, but the CA was not imported to the browser (or Windows, depends on which browser it is they all have different way of checking CA validity)

4. I don’t even know what’s going on here, the ad you’re being served up is the page itself going in a loop..

Could you just test all browsers without ESET turned on and make sure they’re all not displaying errors? Otherwise comparing the results like this is hard to determine which software is at fault or misconfigured..
No.4 is actually the "correct" behaviour, without additional whitelisting on ab-s.

The current situation (just before I disappear for bed as I'm really tired).

Attachments

• Edge - ESET Disabled.jpg
    Edge - ESET Disabled.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 299
  • Edge - ESET Enabled.jpg
    Edge - ESET Enabled.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 305
  • Firefox - ESET Disabled.jpg
    Firefox - ESET Disabled.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 259
  • Firefox - ESET Enabled.jpg
    Firefox - ESET Enabled.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 290
Last two screenshots.

Attachments

• Internet Explorer - ESET Disabled.jpg
    Internet Explorer - ESET Disabled.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 533
  • Internet Explorer - ESET Enabled.jpg
    Internet Explorer - ESET Enabled.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 583

006.jpg indicates everything works actually. The phenomenon is expected for this site. I suggest you pick another common website for testing purpose.

Label clearly what OS and what browser in your screenshots. Also focus on one OS and one browser to get your problem sorted out first.

Choosing an anti-virus is a matter of personal preference, your needs, your technical ability and experience, features offered, user friendliness, ease of updating (and upgrading to new program release), ease of installation/removal, availability of quality/prompt technical support from the vendor and price. Other factors to consider include detection rates and methods, scanning engine effectiveness, how often virus definitions are updated, the amount of resources the program utilizes, how it may affect system performance and what will work best for your system. A particular anti-virus that works well for one person may not work as well for another regardless of whether it is a free or paid for product..

There is no universal "one size fits all" solution that works for everyone and there is no one best anti-virus. Every vendor's virus lab and program scanning engine is different. Each has has its own strengths and weaknesses and they often use a mix of technologies to detect and remove malware

It's been a while since an AB-Solution thread has been on page 1.