What's new

Abysmal 2.4Ghz performance with WNDR4000

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Jaster Mereel

New Around Here
I have many different computers in the house and for some reason the 2.4Ghz network performance is horrible but the 5Ghz is working well. I have a Netgear WNDR4000 with the latest firmware. I obviously don't expect the 2.4 to act nearly as fast as the 5, but the results below for the 2.4 are horrible.

Gigabet Ethernet on 2009 Macbook:
http://www.speedtest.net/result/1594453457.png

5Ghz on 2009 MacBook:
http://www.speedtest.net/result/1594457991.png

2.4GHz on 2009 Macbook:
http://www.speedtest.net/result/1594459752.png

OK, no clue what to try. The wireless tests above were taken about 15' from the wireless router. What can I do to get this 2.4 performance better? The upload speed is actually OK but the download speed is pathetic.

Some more information. I live in a standalone house and there are maybe 4-8 other 2.4Ghz wireless networks around, but none of them get more than 2 out of 4 bars in my house. Also, no microwaves in use, no baby monitors, no cordless phones. Finally, the router is on channel 1 for the 2.4Ghz network.

Thanks.

Jaster Mereel

Attachments

• wired.png
    wired.png
    32.1 KB · Views: 657
  • 5wireless.png
    5wireless.png
    32.5 KB · Views: 323
  • 24wireless.png
    24wireless.png
    31.9 KB · Views: 378
I'll give it a shot when I get home tonight but the 5Ghz n network is fine and the 2.4Ghz g network is the one that's so slow.

I would do a site survey first. The neighboring networks may be weak, but someone could be streaming or doing large file downloads, which would definitely knock down your available bandwidth.

You should be using WPA2/AES encryption or you will get only 54 Mbps (802.11g) maximum link rates.

I'm 95% sure that I'm already using WPA2/AES on the 5Ghz n network.

Looks like I have some homework to do when I get home tonight.

Disable 40MHz mode for 2.4GHz on the router and/or remove all B/G devices when using N(2.4GHz) as stated in the article posted by Tim. If using B/G devices is a must, drop the encryption to WPA/TKIP to force everything to use G and all will test just as high as the others. Top end of G is like 18-19Mbps so you're covered in the internet department. If you have to have wireless N(2.4GHz), then get another router and put it in AP mode to serve just the B/G devices on another channel.

Last edited:
Ok, here is what I've done.

1) Changed the channel from 1 to 11.
2) Set the 2.4Ghz network to transmit to at most 54Mbps. I don't care about 2.4 n performance since I'm just trying to get the 2.4Ghz g performance acceptable.
3) Both the 2.4 and 5 networks are set to use WPA2-PSK [AES].

I'm at a loss at this point. I'm still getting 0.5-1.2Mbps from computers connecting to the 2.4g network to speedtest.net. If I connect with the 5n network or Gig Ethernet, I get 15-22Mbps according to speedtest.net.

Anything else to try?

drop the encryption to WPA/TKIP to force everything to use G

That above should suffice, just limiting speed does nothing in disabling N features(I could be wrong, no exp. with Netgear N generation routers). You might try leaving everything normal, except speed setting of *Up to 65Mbps*(20MHz mode) on the default 2.4GHz SSID, then enable guest SSID using WPA/TKIP and connect the B/G devices to guest and the N devices to default.

Last edited:
I know its hard to believe, but the problem may actually be Apple. Do a Google search for "2009 Macbook slow wireless". You'll find lots of discussion and some fixes people claim work.

Can you try the same testing with a PC laptop and see what the results turn out?

felt compelled to reply

the router just seems to fail on 2.4Ghz. I've had multiple routers, including many netgear ones with different number ending. this one in particular is running under 1mbps speeds on speedtest with 500-1000 PING!!!! If I connect to 5Ghz, it's running at about 50mbps down/40mbps upload with 5ms ping.

I've tried everything, changing channels, changing speeds, changing encryption, adding an extender right NEXT to it that picks up a signal and re-transmits at a stronger rate. I'm returning this trash device for humorously another netgear one (because usually they don't suck)