What's new

AC 5300 and Echo Show issues

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

MielleWb

Occasional Visitor
Hello all,

Anyone have thoughts as to why my Echo show shows a connection to my network but it actually doesn't have a connection. This only happens with my ASUS AC5300 router. I was able to successfully connect to the 68U with no problem but when I went back to the 5300..no connection. Any help appreciated. I've done all the Amazon troubleshooting steps multiple times and it seems like it's maybe related to something on the 5300. Thanks

Hello all,

Anyone have thoughts as to why my Echo show shows a connection to my network but it actually doesn't have a connection. This only happens with my ASUS AC5300 router. I was able to successfully connect to the 68U with no problem but when I went back to the 5300..no connection. Any help appreciated. I've done all the Amazon troubleshooting steps multiple times and it seems like it's maybe related to something on the 5300. Thanks
I thought I would share what I found. I'm a firm believer in helping others so if anyone else encounters this issue check this if they have an ASUS router:

ASUS AiMesh WiFi System
In the mesh system under clients there is an option to block internet access for each individual client, i.e., Echo or whatever devices are listed. On my router this was turned on for the Echo Show thus blocking internet access. I have no idea how it turned on, maybe me messing with setting but I don't even use the mesh system and never have. Hack, firmware update, who knows but it's fixed now.

Kind regards,

Glad you sorted it - strange how things go 'bump in the night'.

Here's some info concerning the echo's and BBC sounds. The BBC changed from using the Alexa app 'tunein' to their own app called 'BBC sounds' to listen to their radio stations and what not. On the 'show' all seems well and good if you listen to BBC 1, 2, 3, 4, etc., but try and listen to BBC radio 6 music is haphazard, to say the least.

What happens is radio 6 music will just stop after 2, 6, 9, 10... hours - totally random - some days it will work OK for a day or two, other times it just plays up. Sometimes just issuing a 'alexa continue' will get it going again, but with a start-up delay of anywhere between 5 to 30 seconds. Other times it will just stop and self start after a minute (totally random). Other times it will just stop and alexa just seems to close it and go back to the home screen - some days no matter what you do it just would not play at all.

A google reveals posts from the BBC acknowledging the issue and states they are working with Amazon to try to resolve the issue.

Ummm.

Anyway, after my many years on the Internet I remembered an issue I had when moving up from a 33.6 Kbs to a 56.0 V92 modem - some web pages wouldn't load, some would load partially, some would load but links etc. on it didn't work at all. The same with the infestation mess 'real player' - some streaming music (not a lot in those days) wouldn't work, some did. Eventually I found ou the issue - MTU value. I dropped it (can't remember what to now) and finally found a lower value where everything worked.

So, I looked at this on my FTTC connection. After trying several values (1474, 1452, etc,) I tried a value of 1430 that I used to use when I first got 512Kb ADSL1.

*BINGO*. Since then, BBC radio 6 music connects and plays immediately, never stops/cuts out and just plays - for over 5 weeks now with no issues. I changed the MTU back up to 1452 and the old issues returned. So that was that. I changed my WAN MTU to 1430, added the dhcp option 26, 1430 to dnmasq (using Merlins firmware here) so all my devices get it too, and all works well,

In fact, my home network is a lot faster, and the Internet is faster to respond to DNS and load pages. A big improvement all round.

BTW, I am in England using an Asus N66U (Merlin) with an FTTC 80/20 connection on BT's network with City fibre reseller Aquiss ISP.

Last edited:
Skiron,
Thank you so much for the reply and very useful information. My Echo does the same thing...some days plays all day and others it will quit after a few songs. I'm definitely going to use your suggestions. I do online gaming as well and perhaps this will improve my hit registration...(lol). Definitely good information and thanks for sharing!!

Kind regards,

Let us all know the result, please. I am just hoping it isn't something peculiar with my physical connection (i.e. BT's wires).

So I tried to change the settings yesterday but could only do the MTU on the WAN side of the router. I tried to change it in Windows 10 using command prompts but was unsuccessful. Also, I didn't see a dhcp option 26 available. Is that a totally different software application? I did try to download the dnmasq yesterday but no luck. The DL showed 0kb, will try again today later. I used Merlin's firmware also. That guy is so smart and a nice person seems like.

Have a read here:

The dnsmasq.conf.add you need to add is;

dhcp-option=26,1430

Their are loads others, E.G. all my home network devices have a static-dhcp IP outside the dhcp pool.

Alas, I run all linux here and I don't think MS windows follows the rules so it will not work for that. WAN mtu should be enough though, I only done it to keep things the same. The main thing does the 'echos' work better?

BTW, you don't need to install dnsmasq anywhere - your asus router is running it!

Last edited:
Way cool...going to definitely check out the Merlin Config files. I've seen them but didn't know the inner workings. The Echo's seem to be working well but not sure it's from anything I've done...time will tell. I've always heard good things about Linux but my system is Windows based. Sounds like time to maybe build a small Linux system for fun. :)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!