What's new

AC-86U reliabily how long has yours run without a reboot

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

RAJ

Regular Contributor
I just ordered one of this ac-86us and wondering how reliable they are.
I have two n66u (solo cpu) and a 68U which I can run for years and never reboot. I guess I just assumed the new ones would be similar.

Have any of you had one running with no needed resets (other than firmware updates) for long periods without issues. I'm talking months and months not a few days.
Im mostly concerned about network and internet hangs not so much with wifi.

Whats a good range for cpu temps on this unit. 80c?

Thanks..

how reliable they are.
Its been a mixed bag if you peruse different threads, depends on which router and firmware version etc. I froze mine at Merlin 384.18 and retired it to AP mode behind an open source firewall due to the buggy nature of newer firmwares for the model, I've avoided the overheating and 2.4ghz radio cutting out problems for instance. Here's the current data I have for my setup:
Screen Shot 2021-03-25 at 2.14.15 PM.png

Last edited:
Its been a mixed bag if you peruse different threads, depends on which router and firmware version etc. I froze mine at Merlin 384.18 and retired it to AP mode behind an open source firewall due to the buggy nature of newer firmwares for the model, I've avoided the overheating and 2.4ghz radio cutting out problems for instance. Here's the current data I have for my setup:
View attachment 32469
Thanks for the screen shot. That is more inline to what I would expect does not look crazy high. That is what my 68 and 66U run and they are not crashes or locking up. Under 80c on cpu with passive seems ok to me. I had read a guy that claimed 130c and shutdown after a firmware update. Crazy hot.

My 68u was running the cpus at 1000 from a patch I did and it actually slowed it down and made the GUI unstable. I used the command line to issue a cpu fixed setting at 800mhz and its been fine for 3 years since. So wondering if doing the same on the 86u would help stabilty. Don't know if there is a way to lock the cpu limit to lower than 1800. If would run it at 1000 if it helped as its plenty fast.

My 68u was running the cpus at 1000 from a patch I did and it actually slowed it down and made the GUI unstable. I used the command line to issue a cpu fixed setting at 800mhz and its been fine for 3 years since. So wondering if doing the same on the 86u would help stabilty.

Doesn't work on AC86U. Search is your best friend, @RAJ. You'll find also explanation why your overclocked AC68U slowed down. Asking members of this forum about uptime is useless. With bunch of active developers update reboots are common and unrelated with product reliability.

Doesn't work on AC86U. Search is your best friend, @RAJ. You'll find also explanation why your overclocked AC68U slowed down. Asking members of this forum about uptime is useless. With bunch of active developers update reboots are common and unrelated with product reliability.
Ahh wrong router and wrong place to ask for such a thing.

That is probably a difficult statistic to come by but had to try sorry. I suppose maybe asking if they had experienced freezes lockups in-between doing standard updates.
I don't think I have ever had to reboot any of my 4 asus routers due it freezing, loosing wifi etc. Only time is me changing settings or firmware other than that its been smooth sailing. But I have read about other brands where people complain of having to reboot a locked up router just never experienced it with the ones I own.

Well mine is actually ac68P in firmware but really a 68u. Stock 68u are dual core 800Mhz and I think the 68P is 1000Mhz default. Its been years since that and was a fun little side project of taking a bricked Tmobile 1900 and converting it to work as a 68u. Its been so long I don't remember why I ended up having to use the 68p to get it to work properly. Had to use CFEditor to get new bin files and I think the only one that worked was a AC68P/V2 which made the hardware run at 1000. Was just for fun but not so much that I would recommend it I also have a real 68u too. Both work fine just one is a 68P downclocked from 1000 to 800.

As far as the why at first I thought I might be due to over heating or voltage. The 68u was not speced to run at 1000. but I think it was a timing mismatch been awhile I have it in my notes somewhere. I did not overclock it on purpose, I don't like to make thing less stable by going over spec even if it can be done just not worth it.