What's new

ac vs ax 88 u

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

royarcher

Very Senior Member
can someone please explain the difference between an rt ac 88 u and an rt ax 88 .I know the rx has faster VPN capability but surely there must be more of a difference between the two to justify the price difference.Thanks in advance

Last edited:
The Ax seems to have it all over the ac doesn't it? impressive.

Yes, it is based on a new hardware platform with faster quad-core ARM CPU with AES-NI support (250Mbps+ VPN speeds capable), double the RAM (512MB vs 1024MB), new radio modules supporting next WiFi standard (and better throughput on same distances), etc. RT-AX88U is the replacement model for RT-AC88U. And the best part - it is supported by Asuswrt-Merlin firmware. It is currently expensive and AX technology is still work in progress, but if you are looking at RT-AX88U as your next router, wait for better price around end of the year sales.

The cheaper router based on the same hardware platform is the RT-AC86U (dual-core ARM CPU with AES-NI support, same VPN capabilities, 512MB RAM, also newer and better radios). It is the replacement of popular RT-AC68U model. The price of RT-AC86U is about 1/2 compared to RT-AX88U and it is currently the best price/performance ratio ASUS router on the market. RT-AC86U is also supported by Asuswrt-Merlin firmware. RT-AC86U is also a faster and better router than RT-AC88U, despite the lower model number (for marketing purposes).

Yes, it is based on a new hardware platform with faster quad-core ARM CPU with AES-NI support (250Mbps+ VPN speeds capable), double the RAM (512MB vs 1024MB), new radio modules supporting next WiFi standard (and better throughput on same distances), etc. RT-AX88U is the replacement model for RT-AC88U. And the best part - it is supported by Asuswrt-Merlin firmware. It is currently expensive and AX technology is still work in progress, but if you are looking at RT-AX88U as your next router, wait for better price around end of the year sales.

The cheaper router based on the same hardware platform is the RT-AC86U (dual-core ARM CPU with AES-NI support, same VPN capabilities, 512MB RAM, also newer and better radios). It is the replacement of popular RT-AC68U model. The price of RT-AC86U is about 1/2 compared to RT-AX88U and it is currently the best price/performance ratio ASUS router on the market. RT-AC86U is also supported by Asuswrt-Merlin firmware. RT-AC86U is also a faster and better router than RT-AC88U, despite the lower model number (for marketing purposes).
Thanks for your time and knowledge I do have my heart set on the RT ax 88 U so I guess I will wait until the price drops or for a sale.My RT ax 88 U is still going strong but it must be getting on to 3 or 4 years old now so I thought I may as well buy a new one before it bites the dust

I agree now I just have to convince the war office but you know the old saying,where there's a will there is a way, I'll sneak it past her somehow they look the same except for the yellow trim on the Ariel's I'll just tell her I bought new Ariel's evil I know but what she doesn't know can't hurt me

I just have to convince the war office

OK, act wisely because your life may be shorter than you expected it to be. Tell the supreme commander the new weapon you are about to purchase uses breakthrough technologies in improving the on-line shopping experience, has a scientifically proven weight-loss effect just 30 days after the installation and extends the popular soup opera TV shows with at least 10 episodes per season. That should do it.

P.S. Or just play safe and tell the supreme commander ASUS is recalling the antennae. They found the red paint used in old design has higher than current standards lead containing ingredients. The new and improved design comes in "gold" color (don't use just "yellow") in order to distinguish safe from not so safe anymore products. All you had to pay was a small shipping fee, but money is not important anyway when we are talking about family safety and well being.

Last edited:
OK, act wisely because your life may be shorter than you expected it to be. Tell the supreme commander the new weapon you are about to purchase uses breakthrough technologies in improving the on-line shopping experience, has a scientifically proven weight-loss effect just 30 days after the installation and extends the popular soup opera TV shows with at least 10 episodes per season. That should do it.

P.S. Or just play safe and tell the supreme commander ASUS is recalling the antennae. They found the red paint used in old design has higher than current standards lead containing ingredients. The new and improved design comes in "gold" color (don't use just "yellow") in order to distinguish safe from not so safe anymore products. All you had to pay is a small shipping fee, but money is not important anyway when we are talking about family safety and well being.
Your a man after my own heart I like the way you think

I didn't want to open new topic for this question. I have now RT-AC88U router, and I am thinking of buying AX88U, what do you think about that ? Is it worth changing or no ?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!