What's new

ac vs ax 88 u

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Don't change the control channel for no reason. The 'Universal Beamforming' should be disabled though.

Test that there are no issues with TX Bursting disabled with all your clients on the 5GHz band before leaving it disabled (and forgetting you did so) too. :)

You're right, the RT-AC88U is only capable of 80MHz bandwidth operation. Where is that set to now?

Leave the PMF disabled too, if you needed it, you would know. :)

What is that Universal Beamforming ? (I disabled it while taking screenshot on botg 2.4 and 5ghz)

Tx bursting is disabled on 5ghz but enabled on 2.4ghz is that ok ?

And should I leave Enable IGMP Snooping enabled ?

PMF is disabled on both 2.4 and 5Ghz.

here are pics. of my 5Ghz & 2.4Ghz settings. I put 2.4 if you have any suggestion what to turn off on it too.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 175
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 156
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 155
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 160
Last edited:
Hi guys.

This week I am getting PON optic 1Gbps/500Mbps is now the right time to switch on AX88U and sell my AC88U ?

No rush to get new equipment. Test what you have after your ISP service gets upgraded and decide then.

The RT-AX88U is a great router particularly with RMerlin firmware on it. But that is no reason to buy it 'blind'. :)

No rush to get new equipment. Test what you have after your ISP service gets upgraded and decide then.

The RT-AX88U is a great router particularly with RMerlin firmware on it. But that is no reason to buy it 'blind'. :)

You are right. I'll test it next week when I get ISP upgrade.

Question.

Will it make any difference in router stability if I connect supply with 19V 3.42A instead of 19V 2.37A ? I see that AC and AX supports them both(says on the back of the router), but they both came with weaker 2.37A one.

Anyone tried connecting it's router with stronger supply ?

Last edited:
The voltage must be very correct. Higher amperage is not an issue, but not enough is.

No, I use a UPS on all routers I need stability from.

Report. I got 1Gbps/500Mbps on wifi 5Ghz on my Huawei P20 it won't pass 480-500Mbps down and upload is max 170Mbps. On my new HP envy laptop it wont pass more than 290/290.

P.S
I bought AX88U today. But I need to wait 2 weeks for it to arrive. And ofc that merlin firmware will be flash as soon as it comes out of box :D

And make sure right after flashing RMerlin firmware, you fully reset it too (even though it will be fresh/brand new, it is still required). :)

Yes, it is based on a new hardware platform with faster quad-core ARM CPU with AES-NI support (250Mbps+ VPN speeds capable), double the RAM (512MB vs 1024MB), new radio modules supporting next WiFi standard (and better throughput on same distances), etc. RT-AX88U is the replacement model for RT-AC88U. And the best part - it is supported by Asuswrt-Merlin firmware. It is currently expensive and AX technology is still work in progress, but if you are looking at RT-AX88U as your next router, wait for better price around end of the year sales.

The cheaper router based on the same hardware platform is the RT-AC86U (dual-core ARM CPU with AES-NI support, same VPN capabilities, 512MB RAM, also newer and better radios). It is the replacement of popular RT-AC68U model. The price of RT-AC86U is about 1/2 compared to RT-AX88U and it is currently the best price/performance ratio ASUS router on the market. RT-AC86U is also supported by Asuswrt-Merlin firmware. RT-AC86U is also a faster and better router than RT-AC88U, despite the lower model number (for marketing purposes).
I am just trying to clarification on your post. The RT-AC86U is the old unit. The RT-AX88U is the newer if the two, I get that..
Can you clarify does the older AC unit have better radios, and processor?

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!