What's new

AC1900 fails to allow internet access when connected as a secondary router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

cosinebob

New Around Here
I have a ubiquity edgemax router as primary. I hooked up a tplink router as secondary - works fine. So there is no issue with how the primary router is configured. However when I connect the AC1900 as secondary it does not allow me to access the internet either wired or wireless. I have reset it to default several times. No help. The 1900 gets a DHCP address from the primary just fine. In fact the 1900 will ping google.com from the network tools section. But computers connected to the 1900 do not access the internet. Set a fixed DNS to 8.8.8.8 in both WAN and LAN settings. No help. ipconfig shows the proper IP address for the computer connected to the AC1900. Gateway, DHCP are correct. DNS shows 8.8.8.8. I can ping the router from the computer. I cannot ping google.com from the computer but as above I can from the router. For a test I set the router to AP mode. Everyone works in that case but my goal is to use the AC1900 as a VPN router so AP mode does me no good. Suggestions appreciated.

I have a ubiquity edgemax router as primary. I hooked up a tplink router as secondary - works fine. So there is no issue with how the primary router is configured. However when I connect the AC1900 as secondary it does not allow me to access the internet either wired or wireless. I have reset it to default several times. No help. The 1900 gets a DHCP address from the primary just fine. In fact the 1900 will ping google.com from the network tools section. But computers connected to the 1900 do not access the internet. Set a fixed DNS to 8.8.8.8 in both WAN and LAN settings. No help. ipconfig shows the proper IP address for the computer connected to the AC1900. Gateway, DHCP are correct. DNS shows 8.8.8.8. I can ping the router from the computer. I cannot ping google.com from the computer but as above I can from the router. For a test I set the router to AP mode. Everyone works in that case but my goal is to use the AC1900 as a VPN router so AP mode does me no good. Suggestions appreciated.
You need to use the AC1900 in a double NAT setup.

Run a cable from a LAN port on the edgemax to the WAN port on the AC1900.

On the on the AC1900 set it to obtain DHCP automatically. It will get a WAN IP that is in the edgemax LAN pool.

On the IP range for the AC1900 pick a subnet that is different than the subnet on the edgemax. For example if the edgemax LAN IP range is 192.168.1.0/254 the pick something else for the AC1900 i.e 192.168.100.0/254.

Welcome to the forums @cosinebob.

You'll also need to forward the port to your VPN router too.

Welcome to the forums @cosinebob.

You'll also need to forward the port to your VPN router too.
Port forwarding isn't necessary for a VPN client running on a second router double NATed behind another router. I have currently run in double NAT no port forwards and it has worked fine for years.