What's new

AC3100 log spam

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

rbroph1

New Around Here
I supposed I should stop lurking around and finally post a question, since searching around hasn't yielded any results.

I recently bought my second rt-ac3100 for a second household, and was the first asus router I have used since using firmware 45149. I have had good luck with my first ac3100 configured the way I have it, and since my second router is placed in a very identical environment I used almost the same configuration other then different wireless channels and bandwidth. I haven't had any issues with connectivity, stability, speeds, etc running the latest ASUS firmware, but I have noticed some new log spam that I don't get on my other router. Every few minutes, this is displayed.

Aug 8 15:29:00 acsd: COEX: downgraded chanspec 0x1909 to 0x100b: channel 6 used by exiting BSSs
Aug 8 15:29:00 acsd: selected channel spec: 0x100b (11)
Aug 8 15:29:00 acsd: Adjusted channel spec: 0x100b (11)
Aug 8 15:29:00 acsd: selected channel spec: 0x100b (11)

From some other posts I've seen regarding this from as far back to 2012, it seems to be that the routers 2.4Ghz wireless control channel being set to auto was the culprit, but I have always used a set channel, in my case, 11, and I don't any neighbors close enough to cause any interference from other routers. I'm the only network visible on any portion of my property, and we don't have much in terms of other wireless or RF interference. Is this possibly due to the extension channels changing? I can't really tell though from the logs, as it's the same message as above, just repeated every few minutes with no changes to it other then the date and time.

It's not that it is causing any form of wireless connection issues, but I'm more curious what would be causing the router to spit that out every 2-10 minutes, or if there is an actual underlying issue or config I'm not seeing or catching here, and figured I would ask those with better knowledge then me.

Chanspec 0x1909 is channels 7+11 (which overlaps channels 5 upwards).

Chanspec 0x100b is just 11 (which overlaps channels 9 upwards).

Channel 6 overlaps with channels 4, 5 , 7 an 8.

So it is saying that it has detected something else on channel 6 ("channel 6 used by exiting BSSs ") so it is switching from channel 7+11 (40MHz) to 11 only (20MHz).

Do you have any WiFi direct devices like remotes (Vizio, ROKU, other)? They "follow" the channel used by the device and can show up as "interference" maybe tricking the Auto select into thinking a conflict exists???? Just guessing. I use assigned channels on both my AC3100's and don't see those entries in my logs.

I supposed I should stop lurking around and finally post a question, since searching around hasn't yielded any results.

I recently bought my second rt-ac3100 for a second household, and was the first asus router I have used since using firmware 45149. I have had good luck with my first ac3100 configured the way I have it, and since my second router is placed in a very identical environment I used almost the same configuration other then different wireless channels and bandwidth. I haven't had any issues with connectivity, stability, speeds, etc running the latest ASUS firmware, but I have noticed some new log spam that I don't get on my other router. Every few minutes, this is displayed.

From some other posts I've seen regarding this from as far back to 2012, it seems to be that the routers 2.4Ghz wireless control channel being set to auto was the culprit, but I have always used a set channel, in my case, 11, and I don't any neighbors close enough to cause any interference from other routers. I'm the only network visible on any portion of my property, and we don't have much in terms of other wireless or RF interference. Is this possibly due to the extension channels changing? I can't really tell though from the logs, as it's the same message as above, just repeated every few minutes with no changes to it other then the date and time.

It's not that it is causing any form of wireless connection issues, but I'm more curious what would be causing the router to spit that out every 2-10 minutes, or if there is an actual underlying issue or config I'm not seeing or catching here, and figured I would ask those with better knowledge then me.

Do you have any WiFi direct devices like remotes (Vizio, ROKU, other)? They "follow" the channel used by the device and can show up as "interference" maybe tricking the Auto select into thinking a conflict exists???? Just guessing. I use assigned channels on both my AC3100's and don't see those entries in my logs.
Good point. My smart TV and wireless printer also default to enabling Wi-Fi Direct (used for screen mirroring and ad hoc printing), effectively making them access points on the same channel.

Also, I also set 2.4Ghz to 20MHz channels. It solves a LOT of "unusual behavior", at least for my use. Try this with a fixed channel assignment and see what happens.

Last edited:

Often true, by my observation of neighboring WiFi-Direct APs. But I'll add that my recently acquired Roku Ultra RF Remote setup automatically on 5 GHz Ch36 and has not moved or blinked since; my WLAN is on Ch157.

A neighbor's Netgear Orbi 2.4 GHz WLAN and backhaul squat on Ch6 at 80 MHz... right on top of most of the other neighboring signals. :eek:

OE

Sorry for such a late response, work had me tied up for the week.

Not in this household, my other household I set up my network in had a few Fire Sticks and such, but I didn't have any interference or any issues with those. We do, however, have Xfinity X1 cable boxes here. I don't think the remotes use WIFI-Direct though, usually I am able to pick up those on Wifi Analyzer or something like that, at least I am when I'm nearby any of the Fire Sticks. I'm also using Control Channel 11, which works well for my household, which now I learn from Colin, means my router is just falling back onto channel 11.

I'll have the rest of the house to my self here soon, maybe I'll adjust some of my settings when I don't have complaints about the internet going down. Since I first posted, seemed the logs are still present. So I'll see if setting it to just 20 MHz will help any, hopefully it doesn't bog down my speed or range on the 2.4Ghz band, I do have some devices on it that are lucky enough to get low ping and 100 down but are a great distance away from the AP.