What's new

AC3100 login screen now contains a captcha

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Mario64

Regular Contributor
I recently updated my AC3100 to the latest firmware, 3.0.0.4.385.20490, and now I get a captcha on the login screen. This is so incredibly annoying! Can it be disabled? Anyone know?

Wowza! I hope there is a way to disable. That would be a good reason to get a different brand router.
Agreed. This is just nonsense. Anyone know if Merlin builds have this as well? Here is a screen shot:

upload_2020-5-5_20-13-58.png

I recently updated my AC3100 to the latest firmware, 3.0.0.4.385.20490, and now I get a captcha on the login screen. This is so incredibly annoying! Can it be disabled? Anyone know?

I can imagine it being a reasonable option for someone who felt they needed to allow https router login from WAN. Maybe even an option on LAN although if you don't trust your LAN traffic then it should probably be on an isolated Guest/VLAN. But in any case, an option - not mandatory!

While I do not know how to do that, disable or bypass the "captcha" routine, I just see Red at the very mention of the word. Nowhere ever, have I encountered a piece of software more detested then captcha! The developer seems to have absolutely no regard for human nature, not knowing when "enough is enough"! I refuse to use it. If I have to bypass the choice I was seeking because of captcha hell, then so be it…

While I do not know how to do that, disable or bypass the "captcha" routine, I just see Red at the very mention of the word. Nowhere ever, have I encountered a piece of software more detested then captcha! The developer seems to have absolutely no regard for human nature, not knowing when "enough is enough"! I refuse to use it. If I have to bypass the choice I was seeking because of captcha hell, then so be it…

You are still posting empty replies:
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/ac3100-login-screen-now-contains-a-captcha.63881/#post-580180

OE

Nowhere ever, have I encountered a piece of software more detested then captcha! The developer seems to have absolutely no regard for human nature, not knowing when "enough is enough"!
As a developer who has needed to implement captchas, I would defend their usage in some cases. However these days with web app forms it's usually the less-annoying Google recaptcha format, which gets progressively more obstructive with successive failures. That's generally enough to prevent a brute force attack on a form, or slow it down to a point where it's not worth the effort to crack in most cases, without annoying the genuine user who shouldn't be needing double-figure attempts to log in.

Having an awkward oldschool captcha from the very first login attempt, and having it forced on your own router without asking for it, is ridiculous though.

Use the Feedback form on the router's webui.

I knew they were adding a Captcha, however I would have expected it to only show in certain situation (like for instance after two failed login attempts).

This is a great improvement for Asuswrt. I know many people don't like it, but it's a great feature for protect people.

As early as about five years ago, independent security personnel suggested that all soho router manufacturers should add a CAPTCHA to the administration page, and then D-Link took the lead in implementing this function, and security personnel suggested that it be used as an indicator for purchasing soho routers.
Like Michael Horowitz wrote in the router security checklist:
3. LOCAL ADMINISTRATION
  • Is there a CAPTCHA option for logging in? (D-Link offers this)
So, I like this feature very much.
But I hope it will not be displayed every time, but only after entered the wrong password multiple times.

Last edited:
This is a great improvement for Asuswrt. I know many people don't like it, but it's a great feature for protect people.

As early as about five years ago, independent security personnel suggested that all soho router manufacturers should add a CAPTCHA to the administration page, and then D-Link took the lead in implementing this function, and security personnel suggested that it be used as an indicator for purchasing soho routers.
Like Michael Horowitz wrote in the router security checklist:

So, I like this feature very much.
But I hope it will not be displayed every time, but only after entered the wrong password multiple times.
Could not possibly disagree with you more. It is annoying and offers no security improvement to add a captcha to the LAN login screen. None whatsoever

Could not possibly disagree with you more. It is annoying and offers no security improvement to add a captcha to the LAN login screen. None whatsoever

It prevents your router being brute forced into oblivion by being foolish enough to have a consumer grade router exposed to WAN login.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!