What's new

AC3100 or AC2900 as the Primary Router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

zeroDegree

Occasional Visitor
Hi Guys,

I currently have a AC3100 router and has recently been able to get my hands on a AC2900. I want to setup a AiMesh network. The routers will be connected via ethernet cable. Which one should I setup as the primary router? The primary router will be in the basement so probably the AC2900 should be the primary? It also seems to have a better processor. Am I correct?

Thanks!

Hi Guys,

I currently have a AC3100 router and has recently been able to get my hands on a AC2900. I want to setup a AiMesh network. The routers will be connected via ethernet cable. Which one should I setup as the primary router? The primary router will be in the basement so probably the AC2900 should be the primary? It also seems to have a better processor. Am I correct?

Thanks!

Yeah, I would use the AC2900 as router/root node. However, if it has a bit more range than the AC3100, one could argue for putting it upstairs to better cover the perimeter, inside and out. You'll have to decide that after you've tried it in the basement as the router.

OE

Thanks for the reply. If I use this setup, do I have to configure the AC2900 manually for all the settings I have in the AC3100? or can I use the Administration - Restore/Save/Upload Setting to take a backup of the AC3100 setting and restore it in the AC2900? Please let me know.

Thanks!

Thanks for the reply. If I use this setup, do I have to configure the AC2900 manually for all the settings I have in the AC3100? or can I use the Administration - Restore/Save/Upload Setting to take a backup of the AC3100 setting and restore it in the AC2900? Please let me know.

Thanks!

Yes, update, reset, and configure the AC2900 from scratch. And no, don't restore across different hardware/firmware.

A saved configuration is intended to be restored to the exact same hardware/firmware that produced it. Maybe you can get away with restoring a saved configuration to like hardware/firmware for cloning purposes. But you should not restore a saved configuration to different hardware/firmware.

OE

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!