What's new

Ac5300, Is my router performing good?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Yop

Occasional Visitor
Hi

I’ve just bought a new ac5300 router. I made some benchmarks and I don’t know if they are good results or not.

Two wireless devices (1330Mb/s and 866Mb/s link speeds of each one) and a wired one at 1Gb/s.

w1 (link speed 1300Mbps, 1 meter from router) -> LAN : 796Mb/s
w2 (link speed 866Mbps, 1 meter from router) -> LAN : 450Mb/s
w1 (link speed 1300Mbps, 1 meter from router) -> w2 (link speed 866Mbps, 1 meter from router) -> 112Mbs

On wireless to lan, I obtain the half of the link speed.
On wireless to wireless I obtain (I think) a very poor speed (112mbs).

Are those values good?

Thank you!!

Lan Device is a mac mini with ubuntu (4gb and SSD).

Testing two devices by lan with iperf3, I obtain 940mbit/s (mac mini and macbook pro). I think I should give at least 940mbits/s on Wireless to Lan.

The other issue, I only obtain 112mbs/s on w1 to w2.

Ok, thanks for the info.

I am not the expert so I can only give advice based on my experience with an ASUS RT-AC88U. The fastest transfer rate via wireless was ~ 98MBps or 784Mbps.

The fastest transfer rate wired (w/ enterprise grade 1Gbe NICs switches etc.) is 118MBps or 944Mbps. When I tested transfer rates through the RT-AC88U it was slower. So I don't think you will see 117MBps or 940Mbps from 802.11 AC routers/client devices.

I can't help with the w1 to w2 transfer, I have no experience with that use case.

Also, I don't use iperf3 for testing, I use a compressed .mpg file for best case scenarios.

Lan Device is a mac mini with ubuntu (4gb and SSD).

Testing two devices by lan with iperf3, I obtain 940mbit/s (mac mini and macbook pro). I think I should give at least 940mbits/s on Wireless to Lan.

The other issue, I only obtain 112mbs/s on w1 to w2.

I hope you are not confusing the unit abbreviations:

m = milli (x0.001)
M = Mega (x1,000,000)

b = bits
B = Bytes

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!