What's new

AC5300 issue- dropping internet

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jeffbarnes07

New Around Here
I had a AC86U that died about a week ago. I was out of town when it died so I walked my son through putting the cable modem (took it out of bridge mode) straight to the switch. Things were working fine but with a 2 story home I really need the AiMesh system I had in place so I got another Asus router. I replaced it with (originally) an AX86U- but in playing various online games we were all getting dropped at various times. Thinking I had a bad piece of hardware I ordered an AC5300 and got it today. I setup the router and network and upgraded to the latest ASUS firmware.

I even bought all new 6a network cables for every inch of cabling with the 3 gaming computers in the basement. Just wanted to be sure it wasnt a cabling issue.

I was online gaming for a few hours and had no issues. Took a break and then went back to it and about 90 mins in I got dropped again. I have the error log, but that looks like a foreign language to me. Would it help if I attached the syslog.txt file to this message?

I am thinking of going back to the Ax86U and trying the Merlin firmware as it doesnt look like the GT-AC5300 will work with the Merlin firmware.

I am just completely lost at this point as to why we are getting dropped. 3 different online games and all 3 of us in the house will get dropped randomly.

Thoughts? I apologize if I missed something stupid in the process. While I am not a network engineer, I am fairly good at these types of things and have had zero issues in the past hooking up a home network.

Thanks in advance - Jeff Barnes

Thanks L&LD - I am doing that now. Just switched everything over from the 5300 back to the AX-86U… setting it up and will flash and do the config as suggested. WIll report back later today after testing.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!