What's new

AC56U / Uverse 3600HGV multiple NAT issues

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

johnklem

New Around Here
New to these forums so thanks in advance to anyone who takes the time to help me solve this one. I've exhausted the other routes after hours wasted with both Asus and AT&T tech support people, all of whom seem to know even less than I do, and endless searches.

It's not rocket science but it is beyond my very limited understanding of networking.

Here's the issue: I bridged the Uverse equipment according to the standard instructions on this or perhaps another forum (it doesn't truly bridge but it works) and set up my Asus. First time around was with an N56U and I wanted to use the AiCloud feature. It took several retries and frequent "invalid IP address" messages in the DDNS page but I finally muddled my way into full functionality. I have no idea how because at that time I understood the issue even less than I do now. The point is that I never touched the 3600HGV.

Fast forward a week and I've upgraded to the AC56U (same but better in every way) and again set it up behind the 3600. Again, everything else worked but again I had DDNS issues but this time I can't magic them away and I'm out of my depth. It appears that I have a multiple NAT environment.
I may have just lucked my way into a freak compatibility with the N56 and I may need to address the issue in the 3600 setup but I have no idea what to change.

If it helps, the ONLY time when I saw anything resembling a causal link was after I reset everything in the N56 (for another reason) and found that I'd reintroduced the DDNS issue. That time, I finally noticed that the N56 IP had gone back to its 192.168.1.1 default (although everything worked!) and as soon as I changed it to 192.168.2.1 I had my DDNS issue resolved and AiCloud working.

I apologise for what's probably a ton of useless info and a lack of facts.
Thanks in advance!

I think you have a double-NAT situation (a router behind a router).

You have to enable 'DMZ-Plus Mode' in your Uverse router so that it passes a Public IP address to the AC56U. DDNS and other services should have no issues from that point onwards.

I'm deeply embarrassed. Thank you so much. Had I bothered to spend time understanding what DMZ Plus did and had I thought to check the settings were correct on the 3600 (enabling DMZ Plus for the router is the first thing I was instructed to do!) I wouldn't have wasted everyone's time. Somehow, DMZ Plus was set to my laptop rather than to the router. How I ever got AiCloud to work is a mystery. Took me half an hour to figure out how to change that setting and in the end I resorted to restoring the firewall settings to defaults and started over. All working now and again, thank you!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!