What's new

AC56U wifi connection

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

speedlever

Regular Contributor
I have several AC56U routers in operation, all running some version of Merlin. One installation in particular occasionally has an issue that when you try to connect to the wifi, it brings up the router GUI login page instead. This particular AC56U is running Merlin 380.59.

The only way I've found to fix this is to depower the router and restart it.

Has anyone else seen this issue with the AC56U or other router?

Thanks for the links.

The F/W was the latest version when I set it up last July. (it's in a beach condo)

I've never seen a router bring up the GUI when trying to connect to the wifi connectoid before. I had a user call me and thought it was some anomaly... until it happened once to me the other day. But a power cycle seemed to fix it, in both cases.

I'll need to print out those pages and take it down with me next time I go.

Thanks for the links.

The F/W was the latest version when I set it up last July. (it's in a beach condo)

I've never seen a router bring up the GUI when trying to connect to the wifi connectoid before. I had a user call me and thought it was some anomaly... until it happened once to me the other day. But a power cycle seemed to fix it, in both cases.

I'll need to print out those pages and take it down with me next time I go.

'Latest version last July' means little (to me), except that it is probably very old now. A firmware fork and version number is always better. :)

I would suggest you flash the latest version and then follow those links I gave. ;)

I don't know what you mean by firmware fork and version number. It was the latest Merlin FW at that time when I set it up. Doesn't 380.59 tell you specifically what it's running?

It's at a remote location so I can only attend to it when I'm physically there.

I don't know what you mean by firmware fork and version number. It was the latest Merlin FW at that time when I set it up. Doesn't 380.59 tell you specifically what it's running?

It's at a remote location so I can only attend to it when I'm physically there.

Apologies! Forgot that you mentioned it in the first post.

RMerlin is a fork of the official Asus code (and there are firmware available based off of RMerlin's fork too, so being specific is necessary). 380.59 is almost 6 months old now. Time for an update (but I now understand why it hasn't been done yet). ;)

Is it possible to use VPN to access the router? I've had many, many firmware updated (over OpenVPN) without issues.

Possibly, but I'd rather just wait until I get back there.

But really, is there any need to keep the latest firmware installed on the router? Once I get it setup with the latest at that particular time, I tend to leave it alone if it's running good.

Any need? One word:

Network (yours) Security. ;)

Are you saying that network security requires that I update the FW even if I'd stayed with the OEM FW? If that's the case, I'm not going to worry about it. I make too many customizations and am not interested in redoing all that work every time Merlin issues a new FW update... which has to be much more often than Asus updates the FW.

I guess I'll just motor along in ignorant bliss. ;)

Oh, and BTW, that was two words. :D

I knew I'd be called out by the word police. :)

RMerlin issues FW updates when Asus does. And even then, not each time either, so his releases are less frequent, not more.

If your network and/or devices become botnet slaves, it won't be ignorant bliss for you for long (your ISP will threaten to stop your service, for example).

Ignorant bliss is an oxymoron.

Having a network takes some maintenance too (just like everything else we enjoy).

Makes me want to get one of those mesh networks and replace all my maintenance intensive routers!

Don't come crying back when they take/add features away or simply don't work one day anymore. :)

Nothing is free or easy. Choose your poison.

(Mine? I prefer to keep myself educated/aware and not expect smooth sailing just because I chose another 'boat'). ;)

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!

Members online