What's new

AC66U Android 2.4GHz connection issues

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

HokieAl

Occasional Visitor
After being connected for some period of time (hours), I will no longer be able to access the internet, despite being "connected". Great signal strength, according to my phone it's connected, but I loose the ability to get data over that wifi connection. I can't even get to the administration page of the router when this happens. By simply turning wifi off and back on, it's working normally again. Or making a change to the router settings (which cause it to reset its wifi) will also fix my connection until it fails again in a few hours or a few minutes.

This is with an HTC Incredible 2. I still have my old HTC Incredible 1, and the same thing happens with it. And it also occasionally happens with my Nexus 7 where the connection becomes incredibly slow despite appearing to be connected to the internet with great signal strength.

I have tried both the stock and Merlin firmwares, various versions, and am currently using the latest stock (3.0.0.4.372_1300). I am thinking this only happens on the 2.4GHz band because my wife's iPad doesn't seem to have this problem and it's connected on the 5GHz band. I have played around with the wireless settings on the 2.4GHz page without any success, eg. setting the channel to 11 rather than auto, setting the bandwidth to 20 MHz, the mode to legacy, auto, N-only, turning the b/g protection on and off, and xbox optimization on and off, etc.

This router replaces a Netgear WNDR3700 which never had this issue. Could it be the different wifi chips in the router, or a faulty wireless driver from the manufacturer? I'm guessing this is a hardware driver issue, not the Asus GUI.

Any help/insight would be appreciated.

I chose 11 because when I had a version of Merlin with a site survey, I was able to see that 11 was a better choice than 1. Either channel is okay though because there are only a couple of neighboring routers that show up, and they are very weak.

I've attached a screenshot if inSSIDer. This laptop only has a 2.4GHz G card.

Attachments

• inSSIDer.jpg
    inSSIDer.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 497
This sounds like a driver issue, my wife's Asus laptop with an Intel Centrino wireless 2230 card in it had this exact issue with the newest driver update from Intel, I rolled it back to the previous version and it resolved the issue. Unfortunately with a phone you do not have this option. The only thing you might try it wiping the wireless settings for your network in the phone and reconfigure it.

Coincidentally I had factory reset my Incredible 2, so it doesn't have any leftover settings.

I haven't noticed any problems with any of the laptops in the house, only one of which connects to the 5GHz radio. We also have various other devices attached and none of them have a problem either as far as I know.

Aside from the obvious annoyances this causes, it's puzzling that I had none of these issues with the WNDR3700.

Edit - it's possible that this is also a problem with an XBox 360 as one of the kids has reset the router because he couldn't connect. That could also have been an XBox problem though.

When you say "one of the kids has reset the router", do you mean they reset the router to factory defaults? Or do you mean that they powercycled the router?

Try resetting the router to factory defaults. Then try channel 6 at 20 Mhz.

http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/sm...-wi-fi-connections-on-your-android-phone/2357

I should have said that he rebooted the router.

To reset this one, is it simply a matter of holding the reset button for a while?

BTW, I'm not sure if this is important, but I'm running this in AP mode. That's because I'm letting the FIOS router do the routing. In fact I doubt it's important because as I said before, once I am unable to access the internet, I can't access the router admin page either from the device with the connection issue.

Did you re-use the SSID's from the WDNR3700 when you changed to the ASUS?

If so, delete the current SSID's and set up new ones in the ASUS (ie give them another name) and also assign new encryption keys.

I had a similar problem when changing from a WDNR3700 to the ASUS. As strange as it may sound, assigning new SSID's and keys, solved the problem.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!