What's new

ac66u B1 Internet freezes on wifi

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Ziggy99

New Around Here
I have an ac66u B1 router that sometimes behaves strange. 99% of the time it is superb - never goes down, good coverage and good speed.

But sometimes (once a day?), when on wifi with some iPhones, internet traffic "freezes". It is not possible to reach any Internet sites. If I turn off and on wifi - everything works fine again - I think it also works if I "Renew Lease" on the iPhone without disconnecting.

I have no issues at all on wired network - the issue is just on wifi.

It does not drop wifi-connection from the phone - the signal is still strong between router and phone. It does not matter how far or close I am to the network.

I am running just 2.4GHz - radio on 5GHz is disabled. Turned off all services - running "very clean". I was using Google and Cloudfare DNS ip in the router, but to see if it helps - I have reverted by to ISP DNS.

I've tried stock firmware, but installed Merlin to see if issue disappeared. Same problem on both firmwares.

Routed is approx. 2 years old. Is it "burned"?

I have an ac66u B1 router that sometimes behaves strange. 99% of the time it is superb - never goes down, good coverage and good speed.

But sometimes (once a day?), when on wifi with some iPhones, internet traffic "freezes". It is not possible to reach any Internet sites. If I turn off and on wifi - everything works fine again - I think it also works if I "Renew Lease" on the iPhone without disconnecting.

It does not drop wifi-connection from the phone - the signal is still strong between router and phone. It does not matter how far or close I am to the network.

I am running just 2.4GHz - radio on 5GHz is disabled. Turned off all services - running "very clean". I was using Google and Cloudfare DNS ip in the router, but to see if it helps - I have reverted by to ISP DNS.

I've tried stock firmware, but installed Merlin to see if issue disappeared. Same problem on both firmwares.

Your router is likely ok. Do factory reset, configure manually, Set 2.4 ghz to 20 mhz bandwidth channel 1, 6, or 11, leave 5 GHZ on at 20, 40, 80 MHZ set to non dfs channel. Use a SSID of up to 8 letters. I recommend leaving the professional wifi settings to default although others do recommend turning some settings off. Leave the three antennas vertical.

Reset and config from scratch would be one step.

Have you tried changing to different fixed channels to avoid potential radio interference around you?

Does it happen without the Linksys wireless bridge ON?

OE

I tried to factory reset, and it seemed to work fine for some days. But today it started freezing again, and I had to turn on/off the wifi on the phone - and then it worked fine again. I've previously also tried different control channels and setting to 20MHz bandwidth, without luck.

I have not thought about the DD-WRT wireless bridge I am running - could that cause these kind of problems? Are not that one just another device on the network?

I tried to factory reset, and it seemed to work fine for some days. But today it started freezing again, and I had to turn on/off the wifi on the phone - and then it worked fine again. I've previously also tried different control channels and setting to 20MHz bandwidth, without luck.

I have not thought about the DD-WRT wireless bridge I am running - could that cause these kind of problems? Are not that one just another device on the network?
What is the hardware used with DD-WRT bridge? You are using a different SSID on the bridge? I have not run a DD-WRT wireless or media bridge in a long time but it should not cause issues with the Asus as it acts like another wifi client. If the other router is an Asus that supports AiMesh you might try that vs a bridge.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!