What's new

AC66U - DYNDNS.ORG

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

dvgeek

New Around Here
Now that DYNDNS.org has morphed into paysite dyn.com, and I'm sure hundreds / thousands / allmost all users depending on free DNS services have migrated to other free DNS providers - would it be possible to drop the three DYNDNS.org selections and add popular free DNS providers like DuckDNS.org and dnsdynamic.org ?

Thanks.

No reason to drop them. Paying is not an evil to be avoided.

I am not against paying, if I am walking into it knowing I am paying. But after years of being a non-profit (dyndns.org), flipping it into a dyn.com for profit organization left a sour impression for me. Proper thing would have been to shutdown dyndns.org and have no association with it for dyn.com, instead of turning millions of users of dyndns.org, suddenly into a client base for dyn.com - majority of whom might have no idea that the commercial dyn.com has the means to be able capture a whole lot of data that could be mined for profit.

Anyway - I didn't want to ruffle any feathers and upset anyone. It's just that there are three entries for the defunt dyddns.org instead of one entry for dyn.com, whereas the space could be more efficiently utilized by incorporating free dns providers like duckdns.org.

dyndns was NEVER a nonprofit organization. Where did you get that? It was always a for-profit company that offered a free service. That was abused. And it decided that it needed to change its model.

I love dyn and use its services for my business. I have never been more satisfied with the service provided by any other business. "It just works."

And I still use a paid dyndns account to get access to my home network, through an Asus router. Worth every penny.

I certainly hope no one at Asus takes your suggestion seriously.

Peace !

Again - I didn't want to ruffle any feathers and upset anyone. I was only voicing my thoughts.

I've never had an issue with DynDNS as well. Note --they issued multiple warnings about their free offerings going away before they finally did.

I don't do everything through them. Their domain registration service is way more expensive than the alternatives, so I just link my domain paid for through another service to their Dynamic DNS.

You didn't upset me or ruffle my feathers. I do agree that a pay for service is not a reason to remove it though. Dyn is still one of the most popular, and ASUS does offer alternatives within their firmware.

I've never had an issue with DynDNS as well. Note --they issued multiple warnings about their free offerings going away before they finally did.

I don't do everything through them. Their domain registration service is way more expensive than the alternatives, so I just link my domain paid for through another service to their Dynamic DNS.

You didn't upset me or ruffle my feathers. I do agree that a pay for service is not a reason to remove it though. Dyn is still one of the most popular, and ASUS does offer alternatives within their firmware.

One thing that made me not want to pay them is how frequently their prices have increased over the past few years. I was looking at a customer's past invoices last week, seems like they increase their price every 2 years or so. So I guess that the removal of the free service did NOT increase their income the way they expected, so they are ressorting to frequent price increases. That's not reassuring for their future.

One thing that made me not want to pay them is how frequently their prices have increased over the past few years. I was looking at a customer's past invoices last week, seems like they increase their price every 2 years or so. So I guess that the removal of the free service did NOT increase their income the way they expected, so they are ressorting to frequent price increases. That's not reassuring for their future.
I'll keep an eye on that. Pricing on their domain registrar service is exactly why Dynamic DNS is the only thing I do through them. I'd have loved to make someone my one-stop shop for my domain names and Dynamic DNS, but they charge an arm and a leg compared to Name.com, GoDaddy, and others.

Also, if I switch to using Watchguard as my router/firewall as I got an XTM-25W as part of their certification process (which would make my RT-AC87R an access point only), DynDNS is my only choice, as it is all they support. Since I can't get a static IP here without getting business-class service, and business-class service means I have to use the ISP modem and pay the monthly fee, using a dynamic DNS provider from someone is my only alternative for doing a VPN back to the house.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!

Members online