What's new

AC66U - Setup a proxy server

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

steeban

New Around Here
Hi guys,

I currenty use an AC66U running Merlin's 374.35_2 firmware.

I searched but couldn't find any threads about running a proxy server from this router. Perhaps there is a package in entware that is capable?

Any help would be great. Thanks in advance!

I'm going to name a few and you do some research. If you going a entware approach than have alook at zip proxy or micro proxy. If you have a webserver with php look at phproxy. You can also create a socks proxy with ssh, since that is built into the router that's where you should start

Further questions

I am looking at running a proxy server that will allow me to access my LAN from an external device. I know that the normal route is to VPN into the server.
This would be fabulous, but my workplace decided that the best way to perform network authentication was via VPN. In other words, I connect to my work access point and then create a VPN. If I do not create a VPN, then the access point has no access to any external sites.

I can access my home LAN via SSH. This is not an issue. However, my mobile device is the issue. I don't want to run an SSH on my phone simply to connect to my home LAN. I am currently using an authenticated proxy server(SOCKS 5) on my phone. However, I would like to stop paying for the proxy server and use my 66U as the proxy server.

I can find several proxy programs(Squid, Microproxy, etc), but I can't figure out which of them would enable authentication. I don't want to have a wide-open proxy available to anyone who can guess my IP. Does anyone know a good solution? A proxy server that can serve external access and allow username/password?