What's new

AC68 in access point mode using its own DNS servers?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Fireradier

Occasional Visitor
I have weird setup at my parents house where they have OEM Comcast in one side of the house and an AC68 plugged in to the network and set to 'access point' in a whole other area. This has worked fine for them.
I can't do anything with the Comcast router/modem because it really locked down and I also don't want to get calls about it 'not working' all the time. Ideally they would buy a cable modem and use the AC68 as their main router but that may take more convincing.
The AC68 however is ok to play with and my father wants to try to use a RaspberryPi and PiHole with it.
In access point mode it has very few options but under LAN it does have the option to set a static IP for the AC68 which I have done and also an option to set up its own DNSserver1 and DNSserver2.
Does setting up the DNS servers to 10.0.0.xxx and 1.1.1.1 override the unchangeable Comcast DNS server settings at the main cable modem? So for instance someone is using the AC68 wifi, would all their DNS requests be fulfilled by the AC68 using the Pihole and CloudFlare or will they still be forwarded on to the Comcast Modem/Router and be using 75.75.75.75 provided by Comcast?
Just looking at it logically I think a PiHole would work on the AC68 wifi but no place else in the network?

I believe the DNSserver1 and DNSserver2 settings are what the Asus uses for itself (so that it can get internet time and check for updates). Those settings aren't used by any other devices. So if you want devices on your LAN to use PiHole they will either have to be manually configured or you will have to change settings on the DHCP server (on the Comcast).

I believe the DNSserver1 and DNSserver2 settings are what the Asus uses for itself (so that it can get internet time and check for updates). Those settings aren't used by any other devices. So if you want devices on your LAN to use PiHole they will either have to be manually configured or you will have to change settings on the DHCP server (on the Comcast).

Thank you.
I guess its time for them to get a new modem and router as there is no way to change the settings on the the Comcast router.

The AC68U is an excellent router and should provide good service, however if your considering a new router take a look at the AC86U. It's a nice step up and seems to provide a little better WiFi coverage, at least for me it does.