What's new

AC68 - Phone WiFi presence detect

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

berez

Occasional Visitor
Hi,

i'm looking for simple script. I have to check that my phones are connected to my router by WiFi. Phones has static IP, I know them IPs and MACs.

Get yourself a Fing box. Available on Amazon (I think). It will alert you whenever any specific selected device connects or leaves your network.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have rapsberry Pi and I'm using arping to detect my phones in my WiFi. But I get false-negative alarms for small 5-10 minutes periods. I'm looking for 100% working solution. I think the best solution is script at router (because router knows who is connected to his network). FingBox may have similar problems like raspberry

Hi,

i'm looking for simple script. I have to check that my phones are connected to my router by WiFi. Phones has static IP, I know them IPs and MACs.

Check your VOIP suppliers forums for ideas. For example a service called voip.ms has a couple of apps available on google play by unrelated developers that will enable you to view which of your voip accounts are logged in and their external ip addresses. As soon as the connections drop the reports update. I have had good success with an android app called 'voip.ms console' for a few years now.

interesting proposition, but I'm still looking for a router-based solution. I have different devices (pc, iphone, android phone), voip solution is complicated for different systems

interesting proposition, but I'm still looking for a router-based solution. I have different devices (pc, iphone, android phone), voip solution is complicated for different systems

I am not the guy to help with a script for the router but I can elaborate a little more on the other idea. The different device issue goes away I would think if each of your devices has its own voip subaccount to log into voip with. It also helps with support if all use the same voip client on all your devices (try zoiper). With voip.ms console or perhaps some other version for another carrier you could monitor which devices are currently logged in to voip. Not sure why you need static IPs on voip devices other than say the convenience of logging into an ATA locally. Hope this helped. Good luck with the search.

i'm looking for simple script. I have to check that my phones are connected to my router by WiFi. Phones has static IP

simple enough?
Code:
[ "$(ping -c1 -W1 192.168.1.101 | grep "100% packet loss")" ] && echo "phone missing" || echo "here it is"

obviously, 192.168.1.101 is the address of my phone, adapt it

there is one problem, when the phone is going to deep sleep it still keep wifi conection, but doesent answer to ping... I tried arping - it's works better but I still gets timeouts...

Maybe looking at how the Wireless Log page does it would be faster https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-me...lease/src/router/www/Main_WStatus_Content.asp

And depend on how efficient you want this you can simply grab this page and parse it, or grab the AJAX endpoint and parse that, or if you want to read some C code find where it’s getting the information, rip it out to a tiny binary and have a script call that periodically.

I’m curious though, what’s the utility for knowing if/when a phone is connected or not?

Last edited:
there is one problem, when the phone is going to deep sleep it still keep wifi conection, but doesent answer to ping... I tried arping - it's works better but I still gets timeouts...

Manipulate a phone to work as you prefer. Mine does not have this problem. Make it turn the WLAN or not go do deep sleep.

Depends on why you want to do it. If you need it to e.g. use phone in multi authorisation of some kind. this is not an issue. If you want to track someone (are therey at home), you need different approach.

I have disabled "energy saving", but this is issue of android system. Its going to doze mode, you cant turn off this option. It still have wifi connection with router but phone system doesent respone to ping request. Router should knows that he has alive WiFi connection. I want get this information from router! Ping is method that I can do from other third part devices at the same network.