What's new

AC68U or CT8 as main router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

darkangel1994

Regular Contributor
Cant seem to find any information here or using google, what router is better suited to use as a main router, a CT8 or AC68U? No AImesh etc.
The AC68U has the BCM470x - Cortex A7 ARMv7 revision 0 cpu, running at 1000mhz. No idea about the CT8 as it doesnt support merlin firmware, however from what i can gather it should be having a IPQ4019 SoC, which according to Quallcomm runs at a max of 717mhz, though its a quad core opposed to the dual core in the AC68U.

100/100 fibre connection. Router for router, which is actually the best performer, not looking too much at the wifi performance of these.

I would prefer RT-AC68U because it can run Asuswrt, Asuswrt-Merlin, DD-WRT, FreshTomato and even OpenWRT (as wired router). It can do 200+ Mbps with no NAT acceleration so on 100/100 ISP I can do whatever I want with it, NAT acceleration supported by the firmware or not. It also looks more like a router and less like a trash can. One of the most reliable Asus models and still popular.

Worrying about the wrong specs on consumer gear.

100/100 isn't going to bog down anything produced in the past couple of decades. Now if you're planning on running VPN on the router it will make a huge difference as to which one to go with. Normal surfing and videos though not so much. You could even save money with a $50 wired only router.

I would prefer RT-AC68U because it can run Asuswrt, Asuswrt-Merlin, DD-WRT, FreshTomato and even OpenWRT (as wired router). It can do 200+ Mbps with no NAT acceleration so on 100/100 ISP I can do whatever I want with it, NAT acceleration supported by the firmware or not. It also looks more like a router and less like a trash can. One of the most reliable Asus models and still popular.

Thanks, yes merlin does seem a nice advantage.

Now if you're planning on running VPN on the router it will make a huge difference as to which one to go with.

And thats the thing, i am planning to use the build in ipsecvpn server for just a two player private minecraft (java) / teamspeak servef with a family member. Right now using hamachi but testing ipsecvpn using the ct8 with so far unknown results.

For vpn, ct8 or AC68U? (I own both)

Last edited:
For vpn, ct8 or AC68U? (I own both)
As @Tech9 mentioned the Asus will win for throughput. Now, if you were talking about gigabit speeds then my rec would be something more substantial. The JAVA doesn't really matter to the router in question here though. Just the packets between the 2 locations. Now, if you were hosting a full blown multiplayer server again, a different story.

As @Tech9 mentioned the Asus will win for throughput. Now, if you were talking about gigabit speeds then my rec would be something more substantial. The JAVA doesn't really matter to the router in question here though. Just the packets between the 2 locations. Now, if you were hosting a full blown multiplayer server again, a different story.

68U for throughput? I see in many topics here that the 68u is ’decade old tech’, however the ct8’s chipset/SoC might be more modern? Does it have better cpu offloading or other advantages?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!