What's new

AC68U problems getting media bridge to work.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

maraxion

Occasional Visitor
Hello.
So i was running my old AC68U with stock firmware as a working media bridge with good speeds.
Today i pressed the upgrade button on the FW in the asus GUI and after that I couldent get the media bridge to work.

On firmware Version 3.0.0.4.385.20633, datet 2020/08/14 works with media bridge.
The next version the Version 3.0.0.4.386.40558 from 2020/11/05 does not. This is also the first version where the FW had a major change and a lot of settings are added. Its also the first FW where the router asks you to manually restart the router after the upgrade. When addind media bridge to this or later versions the GUI wil show that its connected in bridge, but dont work.

After that there are 6 newer firmware versions, latest now at 2022/01/27 , but they seem to not work on media bridge as mentioned above.

Anyone have any idea what could be wrong? Like routers not speaking to eachother, statics ip etc something that might be problematic?

Last edited:
Hello.
So i was running my old AC68U with stock firmware as a working media bridge with good speeds.
Today i pressed the upgrade button on the FW in the asus GUI and after that I couldent get the media bridge to work.

On firmware Version 3.0.0.4.385.20633, datet 2020/08/14 works with media bridge.
The next version the Version 3.0.0.4.386.40558 from 2020/11/05 does not. This is also the first version where the FW had a major change and a lot of settings are added. Its also the first FW where the router asks you to manually restart the router after the upgrade. When addind media bridge to this or later versions the GUI wil show that its connected in bridge, but dont work.

After that there are 6 newer firmware versions, latest now at 2022/01/27 , but they seem to not work on media bridge as mentioned above.

Anyone have any idea what could be wrong? Like routers not speaking to eachother, statics ip etc something that might be problematic?

The first course of troubleshooting a firmware upgrade is to re-commission the box... reset the new firmware to its defaults and configure it from scratch... a clean upgrade vs. a dirty upgrade.

And this should also be done when the new firmware is significantly different, as is the case here.

Reset FAQ
Reset Button/webUI Restore w/Initialize to also clear logged data

OE

Last edited:
As said above: upgrade to the latest firmware (3.0.0.4.386.46065), revert to factory defaults and manual configure as Media Bridge.
I have a RT-AC1900AC (which is the same machine as the RT-AC68U) as media bridge to the RT-AC68U router without issues.
The one I learned in the past is to give the Media Bridge fixed IP settings, mine is set to:
  • IP address = 192.168.1.2 (in the router let the DHCP IP pool start at 192.168.1.3).
  • Subnet Mask = 255.255.255.0
  • Default Gateway = 192.168.1.1 (the Router IP addresss)
  • DNS Server-1 = 192.168.1.1 (the Router IP address)

I see.
Iv tried the reset several times and using the wizard to getting to media bridge to no avail. Iv then configured it to router, getting into the main system and again tried media bridge, still no go.
Im now thinking of maybe going with merlin firmware instead. But as of now on stock firmware 3.0.0.4.385.20633 im getting 350Mbps so its not bad. Dont think I can ecpect a lot more speed, maybe more options and or safety maybe?

It is not really clear what you have tried to make it work with the latest firmware, not how you try to setup the Media Bridge (what settings, what wireless band).
What type is your router and what firmware is on there (not that it should matter).

something changed between 385 and 386 that required you to bring it out of mediabridge and put it back into media bridge to restore wifi

i've not had further problems with any firmware since.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!