What's new

AC68u, RPi pihole and DNS loop?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Your probably seeing that because the television has a hard coded dns and is trying to send request via hard-coded dns, dns filter is forcing it to send those request via pihole. The request show up as coming from the router because the router is preventing the smart TV from using an outside dns server.

Hi @SomeWhereOverTheRainBow, yes agreed, pretty much exactly what dave14305 mentioned further up too. My question now is... if I am seeing a duplicated request (one coming from the router MAC and one from the TV MAC with the same time-stamps), can I safely ignore this. I was actually happy to ignore this before, and I'm happy to ignore it again, but since this thread has shined a spotlight on the issue, I thought I'd chime in and ask about it.

OP (@Tensor) seemed to have 2 problems when this thread started: (i) clients cannot access internet once per day, and (ii) duplicated entries in the pi-hole log. Since I'm not affected by problem number #1, I'm just wondering if we can mark problem #2 as resolved (since its just caused by the devices having a hard-coded dns)?

Thanks!

Hi @SomeWhereOverTheRainBow, yes agreed, pretty much exactly what dave14305 mentioned further up too. My question now is... if I am seeing a duplicated request (one coming from the router MAC and one from the TV MAC with the same time-stamps), can I safely ignore this. I was actually happy to ignore this before, and I'm happy to ignore it again, but since this thread has shined a spotlight on the issue, I thought I'd chime in and ask about it.

OP (@Tensor) seemed to have 2 problems when this thread started: (i) clients cannot access internet once per day, and (ii) duplicated entries in the pi-hole log. Since I'm not affected by problem number #1, I'm just wondering if we can mark problem #2 as resolved (since its just caused by the devices having a hard-coded dns)?

Thanks!
To answer your question, You can safely ignore these. If there was a problem, you would experience dns/dhcp failures like the original poster was.