What's new

AC68U v386.9 - VPN server 1 - faulty connection

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

redbird71

Occasional Visitor
Hello everybody.

So I updated my ancient AC68U to 386.9. Because of the NVRAM issue I decided to do a full factory reset and set everything up from scratch again. So I activated VPN server 1, created the users etc - tested from my phone - get the connection - server also says I'm connected - by no data goes through. Tried changing default port, firewall settings, mainly touching buttons in the hopes that it would just start to work but it didn't.
At some stage I activated server 2 to run some more tests and that worked immediately right out of the box. So I compared Server1 config-file to Server2 config-file and there is no difference at all. Both where setup without using advanced setting - I did not change anything I'm aware of - but if I connect to server 1 nothing goes through - if I connect to server 2 it works as intended.

Is it me? Thoughts?

Server 1 config-file

# Config generated by Asuswrt-Merlin 386.9, requires OpenVPN 2.4.0 or newer.

client
dev tun
proto udp
remote o***.com **50
resolv-retry infinite
nobind
float
ncp-ciphers CHACHA20-POLY1305:AES-128-GCM:AES-256-GCM:AES-128-CBC:AES-256-CBC
keepalive 15 60
auth-user-pass
remote-cert-tls server
<ca>
-----BEGIN CERTIFICATE-----

Server 2 config-file
# Config generated by Asuswrt-Merlin 386.9, requires OpenVPN 2.4.0 or newer.

client
dev tun
proto udp
remote o***.com **51
resolv-retry infinite
nobind
float
ncp-ciphers CHACHA20-POLY1305:AES-128-GCM:AES-256-GCM:AES-128-CBC:AES-256-CBC
keepalive 15 60
auth-user-pass
remote-cert-tls server
<ca>
-----BEGIN CERTIFICATE-----

BTW after full factory reset and setting up my usuall stuff - 2 guest networks - about 30 known devices - 1 VPN server - 1 VPN client - I'm back to 62500 bytes used NVRAM. So, I guess what I am trying to say is - if you have a rather rich setup - stay on 386.7_2