AC86U + AC3100 1gbps Mesh and bad download speeds

Burnerdroid

Occasional Visitor
Hey all was wondering if someone can help.

I have a AC86U Merlin 38.6 5.2 that's my main router with a AC3100 386.4 over lan

AC86 runs my VPN as its more powerful and the AC3100 is my mesh connected via 1gbps confirmed.

I just upgraded my spectrum to GIG. Running a SB8300 3.1 that supports multi gig.

Over wifi, my macbook pro is connected at 1300mbps and im getting download speeds of around 600 ish next to the router. Locked mesh to the 3100 or locked mesh to the 86 - same speeds.
Over ethernet to the router around 700 directly to router
and ethernet directly to the modem 900-950

Speed test running on the 86u GUi is only showing 500-600

Any suggestions here???

Here is what I tried:
Changing Ethernet cables (MBP over LAN to the modem that got me 900+ is now from modem to router) same result
Tried different ethernet ports on modem. Speeds are all the same.
Tried turning off NAT on router, enabled bridge mode (after I got 900+ directly from modem. No dice
Ethernet sports showing 1gbps in (wondering if there is a LAN setting somewhere tieing things up..

Why is Speedtest showing low result directly on router? Its like something is bottlenecking, any ideas?

VPN not running or using bandwith / CPU at same time.

Cant get my full pipe. Please advise!!! Thanks in advance for pointing me what to look for.
 

degrub

Part of the Furniture
sounds like there is confusion about link rate and throughput (Down/Upload) rates.
over a 1 Gbit/s ethernet connection, the maximum throughput is about 940 Mbit/s
Wireless is inherently half duplex and mostly dependent on the client radios. Throughput would be about half the link rate at best. If the wireless router CPU is limiting, that would set the upper bound.
It sounds like you have hit the limit on the router's CPU capability. Assuming your client devices are capable of higher wireless throughput, your only choice would be to upgrade the wireless router and use the two as APs. If it is the client radios + driver + CPU, then only upgrading the client would help.
Only a few, if any consumer routers will manage a full 1Gbit/s ISP connection. Check the recent reviews and threads in the AX or WIFI 6 subforums if you want to stay with ASUS.
 

Burnerdroid

Occasional Visitor
sounds like there is confusion about link rate and throughput (Down/Upload) rates.
over a 1 Gbit/s ethernet connection, the maximum throughput is about 940 Mbit/s
Wireless is inherently half duplex and mostly dependent on the client radios. Throughput would be about half the link rate at best. If the wireless router CPU is limiting, that would set the upper bound.
It sounds like you have hit the limit on the router's CPU capability. Assuming your client devices are capable of higher wireless throughput, your only choice would be to upgrade the wireless router and use the two as APs. If it is the client radios + driver + CPU, then only upgrading the client would help.
Only a few, if any consumer routers will manage a full 1Gbit/s ISP connection. Check the recent reviews and threads in the AX or WIFI 6 subforums if you want to

Thanks for the suggestion - CPU usage is about 70-80% not sure why its not 90+ when running speed tests from the router.

Wish I could get more bandwith out of the router :/
 

L&LD

Part of the Furniture
Running speed tests from the router doesn't (always) give you a true indication of the bandwidth it can actually provide.

Run the speed tests from multiple sites and from a wired client that is plugged into AC power and in its Performance setting.
 

Similar threads

Latest threads

Sign Up For SNBForums Daily Digest

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!
Top