What's new

AC86U dcd tainted on Merlin 384.8_2

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

@OzarkEdge please tell me this isn't the router that died on you and that this is your 2020 vietnam one that still alive hehe. wait that post was from 2019. uh oh :)

@OzarkEdge please tell me this isn't the router that died on you and that this is your 2020 vietnam one that still alive hehe. wait that post was from 2019. uh oh :)

My 2018 China AC86Us died in 2020. The replacement 2020 Vietnam AC86Us run fine with Asuswrt 82072 AiMesh 1.0 and run nearly fine and somewhat much better with Asuswrt RC2-6 AiMesh 2.0 beta... configured as noted here. I've never used Asuswrt-Merlin.

Not sure what else you want me to tell you... fix your damn network! :)

OE

My 2018 China AC86Us died in 2020. The replacement 2020 Vietnam AC86Us run fine with Asuswrt 82072 AiMesh 1.0 and run nearly fine and somewhat much better with Asuswrt RC2-6 AiMesh 2.0 beta... configured as noted here. I've never used Asuswrt-Merlin.

Not sure what else you want me to tell you... fix your damn network! :)

OE

judging by your post, 'fixing my network' would mean getting rid of asuswrt-merlin. but i already knew that. i used stock on my ac66u-b1 because i felt it more secure to not lag a month behind security updates. i've already stated i didn't have crashing with the stock firmware. but for me that also means getting rid of vpn policy rules which is the only reason i'm using asuswrt-merlin now and the only reason i purchased another asus router. but maybe asus also needs to fix their routers. all these issues happen across multiple different models and for some people even with stock firmware. i still wonder if a vpn device detected on the network is a common factor. so its a problem with asus routers in general but mostly seen on he ac86u since its more popular due to price and vpn use.

what else i want you to tell me is how long have you owned the new ac86u? do you also on the new router disable all dcd functions to avoid the error you got on the previous one?

what makes the ac86u stand apart is how often it dies in less then a year. i've seen many testimonies of people owning the ac66u-b1 and ac68u for many years. never seen one for the ac86u. something changed. I like asus, my main desktop uses an asus mobo. but this will be the last asus product i ever buy. Your response enlightened me and settled the issue for me. don't even bother answering the questions there is no need now.

its not a hardware issue, its a firmware issue that can ruin the vulnerable hardware.

Last edited:
I take back what I said I love Asus! No other company update firmware as much or listen to community or even working with 3rd party like hard working Merlin.

Found my way here searching for dcd tainted on ac86u with 384.19.

Traffic stats was off, but obviously AI Prot was on. I also recently installed diversion and Skynet.

So ignore unless notice issues, otherwise turn off AI protection?

Found my way here searching for dcd tainted on ac86u with 384.19.

Traffic stats was off, but obviously AI Prot was on. I also recently installed diversion and Skynet.

So ignore unless notice issues, otherwise turn off AI protection?

i believe so.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!