What's new

AC86U Guest Network can see all devices on main network

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

doghead

New Around Here
Setting up a new ac86u for my sister. Stock firmware. When connected to the guest network the different network scanning apps I have show devices that are connected to both the guest network and the main network. Connect to main network and can see both also but not a problem. I have access intranet off. I use a ac68u with Johns Merlin Fork and when connected to the guest network you can only see the devices connected to the guest network and not the main. Would prefer for guest to not see all devices. Is this normal for stock or am I missing a setting? Would switching to Merlin on the ac86u hide the devices on the main network? Thanks

If a device is connected by Ethernet to the router you will see it when scanning either the guest network or the primary network.

With Merlin's firmware at least when a device connects using WiFi to the guest network all I see are the WiFi devices connected to the guest network plus the devices connected to the router with Ethernet cables.

To isolate Ethernet devices you need to set up VLANs.

If a device is connected by Ethernet to the router you will see it when scanning either the guest network or the primary network.

With Merlin's firmware at least when a device connects using WiFi to the guest network all I see are the WiFi devices connected to the guest network plus the devices connected to the router with Ethernet cables.

To isolate Ethernet devices you need to set up VLANs.

All the devices are connected with wifi. When I have time I'll put Merlin's firmware on. Strange I can see all with stock. Thanks

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!