What's new

AC86U OR AX82U?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Corbula

Occasional Visitor
I've currently got a AC86U which I've not had any issues with but I'm moving and leaving that router with my dad. What would be best, get an AC86U or a newer but lower model AX82U if both are on offer and the AX82U is just a bit more?

I've currently got a AC86U which I've not had any issues with but I'm moving and leaving that router with my dad. What would be best, get an AC86U or a newer but lower model AX82U if both are on offer and the AX82U is just a bit more?

I'd stay the course and consider the AC86U or AX86U.

What does this AX82U spec mean? 5 GHz-2 4x4

It's a dual-band router... does the 5-2 mean it only operates on upper channels?

OE

The upgrade order (from a routing perspective) from what you have is another RT-AC86U, an RT-AX88U, or an RT-AX86U. Anything else is a side-grade today. :)

The CPU on the RT-AC86U is much faster than the RT-AX82U.

A triple core 1.5Ghz ARM A7 CPU is simply no match against the 1.8Ghz dual core ARM A53 CPU in the RT-AC86U

WiFi performance isn't that much faster unless you have access to WiFi 6 devices