What's new

AC86U + PiHole + DNS trough VPN. PiHole not able to lookup hostnames.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

morteng

New Around Here
Hello,

I've trawled through many posts, but still cannot solve this issue, so i hope someone can spot it :)

I have an AC86U setup with a PiHole on RPI. Blocking seems to be working fine, but PiHole is not able to lookup hostnames, really annoying, i really dont like to use manual mapping. PiHole (192.168.10.100) is setup to use router (192.168.10.1) as upstream DNS, hence Conditional Forwarding is disabled. The router is routing DNS through VPN (set to Exclusive).
Looking at other posts regarding same issue, i tried the "dig" cmd and found out that when looking up IP through router i got NXDOMAIN, but looking up through PiHole i got correct hostname.

In WAN i tried to enable "Forward local domain queries to upstream DNS" and setting WAN DNS to PiHole, but that created a loop i think because PiHole reportede ratelimit or something like that.

Any suggestions?

WAN
wandns.PNG

VPN
vpn.PNG

DHCP
dhcp.PNG

DNSFilter
dnsdir.PNG

PiHole
Upstream DNS: 192.168.10.1
Never forward non-FQDN A and AAAA queries: On
Never forward reverse lookups for private IP ranges: On
DNSSEC: Off
Conditional Forwarding: Off

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!