What's new

AC86u random wifi disconnections on a mbp 16 inch

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

gommm

Occasional Visitor
I'm using an AC86u in a 60 storey apartment building. Most of the walls have rebar mesh in them.

My problem is that recently, when using 5G wifi, I regularly get disconnected (about 4-5 times in an hour for 1-2 minute each), this is extremely inconvenient when taking calls.
This happens despite being no more than 15 feet away from my router with no real obstacle in between.

I've tried following the instructions here https://www.snbforums.com/threads/w...h-ax88u-as-the-root-router.68483/#post-642251 after performing a full factory reset

I found that disabling Universal Beamforming stopped the random disconnections but drastically lowered my speed (getting 13mbps with it disabled)

I'm now at a loss of what to do.

I'm running Merlin's latest firmware

Last edited:
I'm using an AC86u in a 60 storey apartment building. Most of the walls have rebar mesh in them.

My problem is that recently, when using 5G wifi, I regularly get disconnected (about 4-5 times in an hour for 1-2 minute each), this is extremely inconvenient when taking calls.
This happens despite being no more than 15 feet away from my router with no real obstacle in between.

I've tried following the instructions here https://www.snbforums.com/threads/w...h-ax88u-as-the-root-router.68483/#post-642251 after performing a full factory reset

I found that disabling Universal Beamforming stopped the random disconnections but drastically lowered my speed (getting 13mbps with it disabled)

I'm now at a loss of what to do.

I'm running Merlin's latest firmware

On both bands I would turn off Universal Beamforming but on 5GHz try 802.11 ac Beamforming both enabled and disabled. This sounds to me like a channel issue since you probably have dozens and dozens of access points in a 60 story building.

What channels are you using? For Mac, try using WiFi Explorer Lite to see what channels are being used around you. Then try to pick a channel that has the least usage around you.

Hope that helps.

Might be worth a try with Asus 9.0.0.4.386.41994 Beta Version firmware. Yes, it is listed as beta but it fixes some security issues. Make sure you do a hard factory reset after flashing the stock Asus. Use a SSID with fewer than 8 letters and a passphrase with no special characters. Use Dual Band SmartConnect, set the 2.4 GHZ to channel 1, 6 or 11 at 20 MHZ and the 5 GHZ to channel 36 or 149 @ 80 MHZ. Disable Airtime Fairness and Universal Beam Forming for both bands, disable WPS. You can disable roaming assistant but if you decide to keep it set the 2.4 GHZ to -55. Other settings are at you option but I would disable UPNP and set the WAN DNS servers to Quad9 or Cloudflare Secure (1.1.1.2, 1.0.0.2)

I've used WIFI Explorer lite but all of the available channels were completely full (I counted 28 SSIDS in 5GHZ between the Uni-1 and Uni-3). I changed my router's region and was able to use a different band (which is allowed where I live according to Wikipedia's but is not available when choosing "Asia" as a region).

I guess I'm in the clear since in theory it's allowed but I'm not exactly sure of the legal repercussion of changing the router's region.

Anyway, this has reduced the instances of disconnecting (down to 2-3 per hour and shorter) but I still experience some so will now try playing with beamforming. When I disable Beamforming I get a warning that this would disable MU-MIMO. What is the impact of that?

Also, I've noticed that I have a lot more issues at night than during the day? I guess that would point toward interference since more people would be at home?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!