What's new

AC86U reset and firmware restoration fails

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

kennymc.c

Occasional Visitor
My AC86U doesn't seem to work properly since yesterday. The WiFi and WAN LEDs do not light up and I no longer get an IP via DHPC. After a reboot via the power button on the device only one of the LAN LEDs had blinked in a very high frequency. I suspected the power supply, unplugged it and plugged it in again and after a few tries everything worked as usual. However, only for about 10-15 minutes.
A reboot did nothing, only all 4 connected LAN and the power LED are still on. Some of the LAN LEDs flicker a bit. The network ports on my client also when I connect the cable. However, no IP via DHCP. Only when I manually assign the 192.168.1.10 IP described at Asus help page I get a connection. However, still no web interface and a timeout when pinging to the router IP.
I then tried a firmware restoration with the Asus Restore Tool. The router was then found without manual IP after I restarted it with the reset button pressed. The power LED then went on and off in very long intervals. My first try with the tool was successful according to the tool. After a restart, however, I had the same problem as before. I tried it a few more times, always with the latest official Asus firmware. But now the process always ends with an error at the system restore.
If I restart the router with the WPS button pressed, only the 4 LAN LEDs light up and not the Power LED and I get to the following page on 192.168.1.1 via the manual assigned IP where I can reinstall the firmware:
Bildschirmfoto 2022-10-14 um 22.53.39.png

However, this installation does not seem to work either. After about 1 minute the router restarts and I am back where I was before the reset. I have tried it with several browsers and firmware versions (Asus, Merlin, Asus Beta).
Is there another way? I'm not sure if maybe I just need to assign a different IP and then I can still access the router somehow.

My AC86U doesn't seem to work properly since yesterday.

If you've had the AC86U working for some time (not the AC68U in your subject line), I suspect the AC86U is dying from a burned up voltage regulation chip like they are known to do. I would replace the router or make a warranty claim, if still in warranty.

OE

Last edited:
Yes, it is an AC86U. I will first try again with a new power supply, which should arrive today, but I have already read about these cases. Thought so far that the router then no longer shows any sign of life or only the LAN 4 LED is on.
Had already ordered an AX86U yesterday as a replacement, which will then hopefully no longer have such problems after a few years.

Yes, it is an AC86U. I will first try again with a new power supply, which should arrive today, but I have already read about these cases. Thought so far that the router then no longer shows any sign of life or only the LAN 4 LED is on.

Maybe the final failure mode will be LAN4 LED half lit... maybe not. Trying a different power adapter is usually worthwhile, but given the history of the AC86U having a particular hardware fault (it is much less reliable than AC/DC power adapters!), I would look forward to setting up your new AX86U.

OE

Last edited:
With the new power supply, the WAN and Wifi LEDs still remain off. Then it is probably the mentioned faulty voltage regulation chip.

Or, it could be something else too/instead.

Do you mean another or a different hardware failure or something that could be fixed without replacing a chip on the board?

Yes, exactly.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!