What's new

AC86U running at 205F

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Checking that we're on the same page when I say to configure from fresh format, scratch, no backups.

Administration - Restore/Save/Upload - Factory Default WITH INITIALIZE CHECKED

Then setup as new using no backups, all settings entered by hand. If afterwards you still see the issues, just know that there are a couple of other people that are on the "fixed" firmware(s) (factory & Merlin) and still see temps higher than what they used too. There are a couple threads, one being here: https://www.snbforums.com/threads/ac86u-overheats-with-fw-386.70296/

If you can't live with it, one solution appears to be using a fan. I'm not a fan (hahaha) of that since it is blowing air into the router (dust). Drawing the air Out would be the better solution if I were to try it.
Thanks for the help.. I will do the factory default with Initialized checked. Ill check the temp for a bit running factory firmware and see what happens. From there I can update with FW with Merlin FW.
If this is not successful I will just use the AX86 that I ordered.

Its all a time consuming process. I have a lot of devices get to set up every time I do this. But I do appreciate you help, I'd rather keep this one then paying the cost of the new one.

Do you know how good the Merlin FW for the SNMP it has in it now? Does it provide accurate detail on the data that is used on each device/host?

Thanks again.

Thanks for the help.. I will do the factory default with Initialized checked. Ill check the temp for a bit running factory firmware and see what happens. From there I can update with FW with Merlin FW.
If this is not successful I will just use the AX86 that I ordered.

Its all a time consuming process. I have a lot of devices get to set up every time I do this. But I do appreciate you help, I'd rather keep this one then paying the cost of the new one.

Do you know how good the Merlin FW for the SNMP it has in it now? Does it provide accurate detail on the data that is used on each device/host?

Thanks again.
Sorry, don't use SNMP, someone else can give their two cents.

When you say you have a lot of devices to setup, what exactly do you mean. Are you setting them with static IP addresses or something. If not, they should just connect again after you've reset and configured unless you've changed the SSID or password. Just curious, cause this process should take about five minutes or less: Upload firmware, click the factory default w/initialize, it reboots to setup wizard, enter/change a few values, reboot for good measure. Five minutes tops is all it's ever taken me. Again, just curious..

Sorry, don't use SNMP, someone else can give their two cents.

When you say you have a lot of devices to setup, what exactly do you mean. Are you setting them with static IP addresses or something. If not, they should just connect again after you've reset and configured unless you've changed the SSID or password. Just curious, cause this process should take about five minutes or less: Upload firmware, click the factory default w/initialize, it reboots to setup wizard, enter/change a few values, reboot for good measure. Five minutes tops is all it's ever taken me. Again, just curious..

I have about 10 cams, they are set to static. Nest, a few pc's and several wifi devices.. Set up guest wifi/wifi.. MAC address access for all devices. So, its not hard to do just a little time consuming.

I have about 10 cams, they are set to static. Nest, a few pc's and several wifi devices.. Set up guest wifi/wifi.. MAC address access for all devices. So, its not hard to do just a little time consuming.
Well to each their own. I’ve found setting static ip addresses overly complicated things for a variety of reasons. Same with MAC address filter, doesn’t do anything security related. Works good to force band steer something but that’s all IMO.

good luck

If you can't live with it, one solution appears to be using a fan. I'm not a fan (hahaha) of that since it is blowing air into the router (dust). Drawing the air Out would be the better solution if I were to try it.

Does it really matter in which direction you move unfiltered air?

OE

Does to me. Is this gonna turn into a temperature and humidity thing now :)
Remember, fans suck one way and blow the other. Dust either way.
The convection circulation through an electronic device depends upon something inside the device (think heat sink) getting hot to get the cooling air circulation moving.
If you want a cooling fan with a filter see: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07XDGXWC3/?tag=snbforums-20

Don't worry about humidity. High humidity makes air more dense and this tends to improve heat transfer. Desert air that is hot and dry does not cool electronics as well.

The convection circulation through an electronic device depends upon something inside the device (think heat sink) getting hot to get the cooling air circulation moving.
If you want a cooling fan with a filter see: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07XDGXWC3/?tag=snbforums-20

Don't worry about humidity. High humidity makes air more dense and this tends to improve heat transfer. Desert air that is hot and dry does not cool electronics as well.
I think you missed the joke

Thats a pretty cool fan. I am going to restore to factory default and see what happens. I have the AX86U NIB right now. Depending on the results I might ship the AC86U back to Amazon. Just not sold on needing the AX. However, I do like that the latest Merlin supports SNMP for the AX.. We will see. Thanks for the link. $15 vs $265 minus the refund on the AC..

Thats a pretty cool fan. I am going to restore to factory default and see what happens. I have the AX86U NIB right now. Depending on the results I might ship the AC86U back to Amazon. Just not sold on needing the AX. However, I do like that the latest Merlin supports SNMP for the AX.. We will see. Thanks for the link. $15 vs $265 minus the refund on the AC..
How has the temp changed over the last couple days, if at all?

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!