What's new
  • SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

slimcraigy

Occasional Visitor
Hello everyone hopefully someone can tell me why my ac86u is so slow particularly on 2.4g networks? Even on 5g it's nowhere near other testers done one the internet.

Sorry if this post is convoluted.

I have tried using less congested channels it is currently on Auto and reaching 40mb/s on my phone 2.4g though it gets an error using Ookla.

Range has not been as good as I was led to believe and I am near the return period end now after persevering and attempting to fix some issues with it.

I have tried channel 1 6 11 advice on 20mhz with no difference QoS off on etc.
I did compare it to virgin that was hovering around 55mb/s. This is on a 600mb/s connection.
Totally fine cable based on the tests in Ookla download speed to router being 600+.

Tried turning some professional settings off via guidance here with no improvement. Should it be this slow?
Is it harder to get working optimally?

Honestly thinking of sending back now very soon for either another as some are on sale now and ax82u springs to mind or even a Tri band.

Either that or mesh system. Is there a problem with it. I have done resets and sometimes the speeds go down to 35 from 40 + and don't understand as I don't change much I between.

Mostly left on Auto channels recently. Tried both with hub in modem mode connecting properly over again. No difference between running hub in router mode with pods.

I have noticed on occasion the hub and the Asus seem to better each other e.g. If I have reset the ac86u it sometimes makes the hub faster and the ac86u. (Other times not)
The hub doing 90mb/s (from 55) Vs 35 to maybe 45 for ac86u.
I don't know if I should try and send back to Amazon.

As you are probably wondering the purpose. It was to own my own equipment replace the poor performance of the hub (at the time 11 to 25mb/s), extend range I thought quite far and have something to fall back on as my own not reliant on Virgin.

Amazon say has to be on original firmware they say and is stock Asus firmware but latest. I can't roll it back. I can't see the exact one on Asus website.

So may not be factory condition now. So I don't know how much money I could get back.

Is it defective? With some of the issues I had already? The phone tested on isn't great but even other tablets better phones 5g bit better but still expected this in a different league. On my phone the connection speed is 150mb with VM but 65 or 72 with the 86u. Why? I know it seems silly but...

Idea was to replace the hub which was poor at the time with the Asus 86u. Then I downgraded from 1 gig to 600mb and when it changed somehow got a "magic" speed upgrade. Router already purchased and pods arrived.Improved speed and range.

Anyway I am wondering can I do anything here to improve the speeds? Settings used recommended aerial positions. Reset used minimal modes though haven't tried the dongle switch mode from usb 3 to usb 2.0. suggested by dong knows tech.
Why that would make a difference I don't know as there's nothing connected.

If there are any more suggestions why this may be occurring and what settings may need adjusting please let me know.

Anyway Im conflicted on what to do here as my return period is nearly up and has been ongoing with Amazon for issues.
I was thinking there is a sale on ATM.
Maybe I could mesh 2 Asus if I can sort this out.

Would be a shame to return something that may be functional just not optimised and
If I return due to certain issues I had I don't know if I can get money back fully anyway now.

Maybe best way I can cut my losses is benefitting from a sale to get a mesh system of my own aimesh or other.

Was thinking due to sale maybe could get s WiFi 6 version like the ax82u I nearly bought in the first place.
Or if I fix this mesh 2 compatible routers.
Can an ax82u mesh with ac86u or any WiFi 6 and WiFi 5? Which can be meshed best?

If I get money back should I get the WiFi 6 version anyway? It suits my house better.

What are the expected results of aimesh of 86u and (another Asus ac86u) or an ax--u router if compatible) Vs dedicated mesh systems like orbi rbk50 etc.

Read it's bad idea generally meshing a WiFi 6 and WiFi 5 routers.
And usually best meshes need matching whether 2x2 3x3 4x4 channel band etc.

Others I looked at were the ax58u and the ac88u apparently having better range despite being older.
I like the interface and am sure there is good performance in there somewhere.

Should I send back that one first if I can't fix poor performance compared to VM hub?
I don't want to lose money but also the opportunity to add a somewhat future proof performance for when VM let me down inevitably.

I am just aware this pod system is very sensitive I don't own it either.
Thought I would get something in place for if I can't afford to in future (which is a real possibility)

I have an opportunity to mesh 2 together albeit time is of the essence now.

Would be better in the long run but if 2.4g speeds are going to be half of VM I don't understand why and whether in modem mode or WiFi off or on VM hub speeds are no different on 86u. Range middling too.

Other option was dedicated system assuming I can get money back from Amazon for the issues. I honestly thought reading about it this was a well priced beast.

I like Asus and would buy one again gladly just what to do for the best I'm running out of time.

There are some other posts I will try to follow in case I go the aimesh route. Like ac88u Vs 86u node and master which should be which?

Seems a lot of hassle but I fear the unknown. And not knowing if I can get my money back may sway me one way or the other and feel I have to buy another at least while the deal is on or a different one should I get my money back. Currently ax82u springs to mind even the ac88u (I read had very good range despite age)

Sorry for long post and lot of subjects I find it hard to focus on one thing at a time and still the unknown haunts me.
I'm trying to make up my mind but Amazon may do that for me.
So looking to cut my losses and either keep or chance sending back a router with only updated firmware different to factory spec. Possible buying another standalone router while the sake is on or meshing for future anyway. Dedicated or not depending on what they say.

THanks for breading if you have and can help Kudos I can never keep short
Regards Craig

Asus firmware is original firmware. For your AC86U it should be Current Version : 3.0.0.4.386_44470. Amazon should not fight you over that.

Use Dual Band Smart Connect. Keep the SSID and passphrase simple. Letters and numbers only.
5 GHz at 80 MHz on channel 36 or 149
2.4 GHz at 20 MHz on channel 1, 6 or 11
Antennas like this \ | / Yes it seems to make a difference on the AC86U
Disable Airtime Fairness on both bands.
Turn off WPS

Note: you may need to do a Hard Factor Reset (https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1039074/) and manually configure. A power cycle may also help.

The AC86U is a great router. OK, I have an AX86U and that is a greater router but I still use my AC86U as a mesh node.

Anyway Im conflicted on what to do here as my return period is nearly up

You already asked the same questions in your previous thread here. Based on that past conversation, my suggestion to you stays the same - return the Asus router and use your VM system. If it stops working, call VM to fix it for you.

Hello bbunge thanks for the reply.
Was replying to you and fell asleep. Apologies.
Hi Tech9 I will answer you sorry if I've asked some of same questions. I don't remember asking about 2.4g and certain circumstances have changed. I know I'm not as clever as you guys. Not thick though Can be at times and probably ask some daft questions. Memory is short. Time running out Sorry.

Bbunge
Yes I try the antenna positions and tried looking at suggestions here if not mistaken similar to the box picture but out a few degrees.
I think I have seen spread around this forum 11 and 1 o clock.
On the box the middle antenna looks like it's facing the wrong way to me from some angles as though if you were to push forward on the antenna it would bend back away from the front face of the Asus. That is wrong way round correct? See dumb question and wrong observation probably.

The 5 g channels ok I'll try I think someone took 36 on WiFi analyser but 36 40 44 48 are the better ones I read right? Channel 151 I haven't tried it likes channel 108 as I've found that decent too.
The 2.4g is free on Ch 6 except a couple printer and something else mostly. With others hopping.

I believe yes current firmware I am on Asus stock. I can't remember if they said it had to be factory but factory sticker says version 3.0.0.4.384.
Period. No more numbers. That does not exist on Asus website the earliest it's 3.0.0.4.384.2**** or something so yes they shouldn't fight me on it they agreed to reset. I didn't know I would hit problems glad I didn't flash to Merlin I downloaded it but left it. If I had the chat transcript of know what they said better.

I said not sending with passwords on to Amazon qr code ran out after a week. Then I got another after deciding to try and fix it.
Next 7 day qr code ran out and now whilst searching for help here and elsewhere. Last 2 days now.
Prob think something dodgy is going on n worried what I'll have to explain why o left it so late.
Just thinking should I ask if f/w needs to be factory version? ask maybe or let slip the the box is sticky from a sticker they may have put on I don't remember moving. Just the plastic wrap/sticker possibly making box sticky.

Colin Taylor helped me figure some things out. Not everything but definitely the key to it.There's still things I don't understand regarding those issues but I'll leave that.

I think I have disabled airtime fairness before but not for long.
I've done plenty of hard resets I've lost count. Not disabled WPS yet.

Anybody know why or tried the Dong knows tech recommended changing from usb 3.0 to 2.0 for lesser systems/ speeds I can't find or remember the article now my phone closed the tabs. Supposed to help even if you have nothing attached?

Anyway so if I send this back get my refund what would you go for out of these for speed range and flexibility? IF I WANTED to either try a better range primary, different system or aimesh while sale is on.
Ax82u(my primary pick ATM) ax56u ax 58u ax55u. Ac88u supposed to have good range alone. Even the ax92u was going cheap.

At some point I have to become self sufficient not rely on VM all the time. I mean I did ok I think when talked through some issues.

This flash sale has made me think should I try another router/ system.
Could I aimesh 2 ax routers? Like ax82u primary with an ax56u (cheap) ax55u cheaper or get ax58u would they be incompatible?
Even 2 86u's would it be as good or better than a good dedicated mesh system?

Amazon big sale event. Nest routers were going for 114. Things are going fast.
Other things I'm thinking are rbk50 Tri band WiFi 5 or rbk353 1800 dual WiFi 6from Netgear orbi and deco m9 plus. Linksys velop. Unsure about Asus zenwifi items and unsure of they are in the sale.

Also the Huawei ax3/pro look neat but also suspicious. Unsure even though could have a house of them for cheap.
Shame the ax86u isn't reduced almost bought that on offer but are the antennae upgraded on that maybe I'd have had the same range issues.

Tbh if it wasn't for that miracle downgrade, when everything suddenly sped up for whatever reason is probably have thought 86 u was bees knees. Oh and the pod (s).
Did I mention the downgrade here sorry if I did/didn't. In aware just as that happened maybe the reverse can.

Ssid is simple anyway just asus. Passphrase is long one from virgin router is that too long? Dumb question alert
Where do you turn WPS off? Does the hard button on the side actually turn it off or in settings.
What speed/ range should I expect to see for 2.4
g. It isn't good when my phone says 72 link speed n VM 150.
Anyway thanks sorry long post tired.
Regards Craig
Asus firmware is original firmware. For your AC86U it should be Current Version : 3.0.0.4.386_44470. Amazon should not fight you over that.

Use Dual Band Smart Connect. Keep the SSID and passphrase simple. Letters and numbers only.
5 GHz at 80 MHz on channel 36 or 149
2.4 GHz at 20 MHz on channel 1, 6 or 11
Antennas like this \ | / Yes it seems to make a difference on the AC86U
Disable Airtime Fairness on both bands.
Turn off WPS

Note: you may need to do a Hard Factor Reset (https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1039074/) and manually configure. A power cycle may also help.

The AC86U is a great router. OK, I have an AX86U and that is a greater router but I still use my AC86U as a mesh node.

I'm with Virgin Media on their 200/20 service and have a Super Hub 2 in modem mode and an AC86U and get great speeds on both the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz bands. If devices support enough streams on the 5 GHz band, they download at full speed.

What speed/ range should I expect to see for 2.4
g. It isn't good when my phone says 72 link speed n VM 150.

It will be the same with any other router or access point running 20MHz wide 2.4GHz channel. Devices with 1-stream radios connect at up to 72.2Mbps link speeds, 2-stream radios connect at up to 144.4Mbps. Your phone is 1-stream, 72.2Mbps link speed can give you about 50Mbps throughput in ideal conditions. This is what 2.4GHz band is in most residential areas. 5GHz band is faster, but you still can't reach your 600Mbps ISP speed to single common 2-stream AC client. The link speed is up to 866.7Mbps with realistic throughput about 420-480Mbps. Could be higher in ideal conditions and clear Wi-Fi channels. I believe you started with wrong expectations.

I'm with Virgin Media on their 200/20 service and have a Super Hub 2 in modem mode and an AC86U and get great speeds on both the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz bands. If devices support enough streams on the 5 GHz band, they download at full speed.
Hi MarkyPancake sorry long post I have to post something been editing it lots again as usual. Did yours work like that straight away?Full speed on everything?

I don't know (fully) why mine doesn't. So it seems based on the amount of streams a phone can handle which makes sense as I have read the post from Tech9 too.
While I understand what you both mean to an extent as mine said 72 link speed for Asus (recently had fastest ever 40-50 real speed). Do they settle/get faster over time? So my phone should have a 1 stream radio. I understand that bit.

However I have at one point had 150 real speed on same phone on VM( I didn't see the link speed at that time). Now it's 150 link speed with VM and up to 90 real speed.
So I don't fully understand the discrepancy between Asus and virgin. Should it not be the same for both? How was my device via capable of 150 actual speed while connected to VM but only 72 (link) 50 real speed.

On a different note:-
I did start the return process again with Amazon but whether I have correct info I don't know. I have anxiety issues and was putting it off I froze last time I chatted to them.

I was so worried so much about the factory firmware needing to be original and I updated it, and getting quizzed again. I only pysched myself up enough to talk to them on Saturday and did mention to them it was bank holiday on Monday. I did ask if I needed to send it back Saturday even though collections would only ship Tuesday. She said as it's a 7 day qr code you can send next week and get 100% refund. I said even after 30 days has passed? (It's 30 days today - bank holiday no post)
The lady said yes but I still can't see that chat about factory firmware so may need to contact them again to triple check. I originally assumed it was faulty and said that so.

Also the sheer length of time I've had it/ took to return it but was trying to sort things/understand better. I still have fears about sending it back or whether it would be better keeping it meshing another while they are on sale.

Whatever happens just be a hard lesson I'll be both glad and gutted to see it go. Love the features/interface no other manufacturer seem to offer full security etc.

I may have had one of the best out there and end up getting rid or getting something worse.

There are lots of systems on sale at the moment. May have to create a different post.

I would like to be able to just get high speed decent security included/featured mesh system I wish it had the same level of features as Asus router does.

Sale ends soon takes ages for me to decide and I don't want to buy another system without knowing for sure I would get a refund in the first place.
Can anyone recommend any system?
Was looking at the rbk50 and deco m9 plus. Linksys velop too.
Eero pro 3 pack on offer too. Eero Pro 6 or just a couple single routers not a 3 pack? Google Nest etc. Then even Asus ax82u ax92u etc. are on offer cheap. Zenwifi still expensive. Unsure about other Asus dedicated mesh units? Can those Asus mini mesh units or the ac3000 aimesh with the ac86u if can't go back?
What others are most compatible with the 86u the ac88u? Just exploring all avenues.
Virgin doesn't support WiFi 6 anyway ATM so is there any need to buy that standard yet?

Tech9 may be right about wrong expectations. However I did research it thoroughly and went off what other reviewers like Dong Ngo from Dong knows tech tested at various ranges with speeds etc. His results were very good. I kind of thought that was a relative real world test.

If I can send back still I need to factory reset it again. I worry it will get stuck on the updating settings page stuck waiting for a connection and it may block any other router/mesh system I was considering getting. Will this happen or can I just factory reset unplug box and send? It won't have any repercussions on my computer I mean? Also can they see all your logs etc.? Just wondering. Thanks and regards Craig

I don't know (fully) why mine doesn't. So it seems based on the amount of streams a phone can handle which makes sense as I have read the post from Tech9 too.
While I understand what you both mean to an extent as mine said 72 link speed for Asus (recently had fastest ever 40-50 real speed). Do they settle/get faster over time? So my phone should have a 1 stream radio. I understand that bit.

However I have at one point had 150 real speed on same phone on VM( I didn't see the link speed at that time). Now it's 150 link speed with VM and up to 90 real speed.
So I don't fully understand the discrepancy between Asus and virgin. Should it not be the same for both? How was my device via capable of 150 actual speed while connected to VM but only 72 (link) 50 real speed.

The only thing I can think of is the Super Hub's 2.4 GHz wireless settings are configured differently to the AC86U. The link speed will be based on the type of connection and channel bandwidth, so not taking into account interference from surrounding networks, devices, etc, I run my 2.4 GHz as N only and 20 MHz and my 5 GHz is N/AC only and 80 MHz.

Hi MarkyPancake thanks for that and sorry its a long post again i have been editing for ages again but I have to post something. Hopefully you may be able to read it. Also hope I haven't posed twice.

I may try it as you have set it. It seems strange to me that they connect at different speeds considering how superior the Asus is meant to be anyway.
I think I tried the bandwidth change and no change in link speed maybe it could have got faster in speed tests but I don't think I saw much difference tbh. It is congested.

It could be the hub 4 but shows via ethernet full speed.
I actually never had version 2 or the 2ac. Guard that hub 2 with your life lol!
I loved the hub 1 never had an issue that I remember. People had to pry me away to change to the hub 3.
Only plugged in a new hub 3 the week before that I had been sent in 2019 or something and forgot about.
That was my back up I had actually forgot about. So now can't revert back if I wanted and if I could prove it was the hub 4. It's not great and was dreadful at first hence buying this router.
Do you think the engineer could have adjusted something when he saw that new router? Why he would I don't know but had a couple visits when first installed 1 gig package.

These pods have made a difference no question but unplugging it and it not connecting is a pain in the...anyway...

Though I was going to try getting my money back I had told Amazon the router was faulty because I thought it was after connection refusing issues. I don't know what i am going to do with it yet now 30 days has passed. Has to be defective to return but I was told i could do it this week on saturday just gone...

Chatted to them again Tuesday as it was 30 days bank holiday monday. I tried telling them that when I was sending back that the router gets stuck when applying certain settings. Shows dialogue like router updating settings please wait or something along those lines.

I told them I didn't know which page to leave it on to disconnect it properly after the hard reset (if I could leave while its stuck updating settings or when I could get to the set up a new network page) and asked about it. They said contact Asus or give my phone number.

Anyway if items are past 30 days they have to be defective. I did say originally it was faulty before trying to diagnose on forums so unsure if it is or not and whether they will accept it back if they have to test it it may be ok their end so that is my fear.

One lady said they would have it back when I chatted saturday 100% refund but that was last day I could have posted back she said I didn't have to rush out plus the post would only have gone tuesday anyway due to bank holiday I forgot about till too late.

I don't know if I could in good conscience send it back saying that when people on here helped with the refused connection issue.
What I have is relatively poor performance. Yes device dependent maybe but should be better and all that but still as in previous post 72 link speed vs 150 is weird.
I don't know if that constitutes as defective now? As I don't know what is causing the issues and range issues too.

Amazon told me to phone Asus about it. I also am beyond the return period. I would have definitely returned Saturday now if the lady didn't say we would refund you 100% even if left till next week. But bank holiday Monday so no post.
There are some bargains to be had at the moment and I feel like I'm missing out on now having opted for this router which is now on sale for £36 less than I paid for it.

Probably make a fool of myself if I speak to Asus as well like amazon told me to as they didn't understand the issue.
Like you said could be different settings or the hub 4 limiting speed somehow despite full connection speed.

So I wanted to ask IF I do return it will it just disconnect from the local IP address once I unplug it and not get in the way of other routers/systems. Or should I wait till I am able to get back to the set up screen again?
I have to use reboots or different browser or ethernet still.

Is there a correct way to remove the ac86u from the local system in case another system I buy uses 192.168.1.1 or will it not matter when unplugged if another then gets connected via ethernet if its same local address?

If possible could you answer what could be a good workaround if I have to keep the Asus? I just want my own network while I have a bit of cash to spend that is somewhat future resistant at least not virgin dependant with good speed and range. I may be a bit stuck but at least 5 g is decent enough.

Deals end friday so have been wondering should I pick up another compatible Asus router like an ac88u or another ac86u or cheaper compatible one aimesh them while cheaper than usual? I can't mix ax56u wifi 6 and wifi 5 devices can I?

Or can I if I used a backhaul and still have compatibility issues potentially. I am trying to get a network as cheap as possible but cut my losses. No idea where I would put it whether it could go out the way in the conservatory or if it has to be a certain distance for optimum wireless. The ax92u is available for 142 or something daft no idea if its good or not though. Seen mixed reviews as always.
Is there something I can use with the Asus besides another Asus as a mesh system or just wired access points?

I see you have an 86u and 68u are they wired as the ac68u is the node?

Either that or try my luck sending back and hoping they accept as defective. Get a triband mesh system cheap in the meantime and roll the dice. I don't want to say its definitely the router causing these freezing issues and slow speeds and I have been "using" it technically when trying to sort issues out too. Problems may still occur with another system if its the virgin so I don't know now.

I just would like a good system now prices are at record lows. If it has to be an aimesh then fine I just hope I can tune it as 5g seems better generally speaking. A place to put it is the only thing though and if performance is already lacking somewhat maybe not ideal but I'd like to at least have somewhat of a network I own that's not future proof as its not WiFi 6 but while I have the money to spend and deals are going.

Can I upgrade the antennas? Supposedly you shouldn't but I don't know if that would work either.
If you have managed to read this and respond thank you so much regards Craig S

Last edited:
long post again i have been editing for ages

Don't do that @slimcraigy. Your 4 chapters essay above contains 46 questions. There is no way to answer all your questions. No one works here full time and no one will create a personalized guide for you. Ask few questions - get answers from more participants. You have to know at least the basics to understand the answers. I'm not tying to be rude - it's just impossible to help you at this stage. This is why my only advice to you was to call VM techs and to tell them you need Wi-Fi. If you are not happy with the results - call them again and explain what you are not happy with.

Don't do that @slimcraigy. Your 4 chapters essay above contains 46 questions. There is no way to answer all your questions. No one works here full time and no one will create a personalized guide for you. Ask few questions - get answers from more participants. You have to know at least the basics to understand the answers. I'm not tying to be rude - it's just impossible to help you at this stage. This is why my only advice to you was to call VM techs and to tell them you need Wi-Fi. If you are not happy with the results - call them again and explain what you are not happy wi

Hello Tech9 right ok I take your point I go overboard. I had no idea I asked that many.
Hello Tech9 ok point taken I go overboard I know. I'm sorry. I know nobody works here and long posts can be hard to read etc.
I wanted to say sorry for l8 reply.
Yes that's too many questions and an essay.

I feel like I have to explain myself and I don't need to just don't want to rely on VM all the time.
I am in a pit trying to salvage something from it. My own fault.

I appreciate the advice. Long story short used to quit everything not try if too hard. Life event occured now I don't want to give up any more/rely on others(eg. VM)

So when you say call VM I don't need them for everything. Not a tech but better than being only reliant on them. Towards self sufficient. Obviously I need input from elsewhere then but...

I just want/ed/(needed at first) my own equipment as no way would I put up with the pathetic speed I got when changing hubs and packages.

I would like or would have liked something Fast, reliable and somewhat good/ future resistant for a few years while I can afford it.
I doubt I will be in a position to be able to soon.
Also do something for my family.

I try. I'm not a complete idiot/ but being a recluse a lot of tech has passed me by. I lack exact terminology and being concise.

But with a bit of help on here overcame that refusing connection obstacle.
Yes not everyone has the patience I achieved something.

I Did ask what language I said wrong. It was TMI probably. I tried anyway.

So I do care what others think a lot and have a conscience eg. like what Amazon may think if the Asus is defective or not and a crime to send back if it isn't.

If you still care and I want a system as a backup and good range with fast speed could you or someone please answer a couple of questions?

If I have to keep this ac86u what would be best to either pair with it for extended range/ with wireless setup? Aimesh 2 or a different model. I don't mind wiring others do.

If it's worth trying to send back to Amazon.

Can I just get a simple hopefully triband easy, secure, fast semi future proof mesh system recommendation with good range and speed?

The other question that you could answer or not would be is the Asus able to act as an access point within that system?

Basically Everything is on offer at the moment Eero Nest Velop other Asus models too.
Maybe missing an opportunity. Even if I have keep the Asus some are cheap enough.

If you read it
Thank you and regards Craig

Last edited:
I feel like I have to explain myself and I don't need to just don't want to rely on VM all the time.

You will have to rely on VM anyway. If their modem/router stops, yours stops too. I didn't understand - what's the problem with your VM setup? Obviously VM is using this very same equipment in many homes. It must be working well enough for the service they provide. Why exactly you want to change it?

I expect a short answer like this:
"I get X speed to wired clients and Y speed to wireless clients. I have a dead spots in my Z place. I don't think this is what I pay for."

Then we can discuss what can be improved and how. About your RT-AC86U - I wouldn't buy one in first place. Here is my explanation why.

Hello Tech9 I know I have to rely on VM for a service to an extent.
I have to rely on any ISP for the basic hub/ modem.

I currently only use wireless.

However my current laptop gets 40mb/s wired. Old Hub 3 gave 100mb/s
Wireless on laptop I have had 104 mb/s. Typically 35+

Newer wireless clients/ tablets achieve 200mb/s - 300 occasionally in optimal conditions dropping to less than 100 or disconnecting.

Dead spots are upstairs, most importantly the conservatory where WiFi is used most arguably.

That a short version I have reasons etc that can follow if need be but nice to have a backup and far reaching system of my own.

Having been not forced but felt my only option was to get my own equipment due to slow hub 4 speed I thought I would see and not have to pay in future. If pods still work then and don't go wrong and won't reconnect if unplugged.

Consensus in VM forums is own equipment modem mode. Pods not good long term.
Can explain keeping short for now.

Regards Craig S

Dead spots are upstairs, most importantly the conservatory where WiFi is used most arguably.

2 questions about how your VM system is setup:
You are talking about pods. I believe they are popular Plume hexagonal shape product. Are they installed and did you try to re-locate them closer to the dead spots? Explanation: I don't know what VM system is, but I know what Bell hub with pods is. It comes with user manual explaining the basics. The technician comes and installs the hub and plugs in few pods; if you find the coverage is not what you expect, you move the pods to different locations. Ideal client location is 10-15ft around the pod; or in the same room. You have to be careful not to break the pod's backhaul connection. Your VM Home Hub is not slow. Have you learned how to manage VM system? Details: You have to know how to change the basic Wi-Fi settings at least - channel, channel width, SSID, password, encryption. You have to know how to select best/better Wi-Fi channels in your environment.

However my current laptop gets 40mb/s wired.
Newer wireless clients/ tablets achieve 200mb/s - 300 occasionally

2 questions about how you measure the performance:
Is this the Toshiba Equium P200 1ED laptop from this post? If it is, don't use it for performance measurement. Don't use it at all in 2021. Explanation: According to specifications I found online, this is about 14-years old laptop with Pentium T2310 1.46GHz CPU, up to 2GB RAM, Fast Ethernet adapter (up to 100Mbps), eventually 802.11b/g wireless (up to 54Mbps) and USB 2.0 ports. Your VM Home Hub hardware is faster than your laptop. Windows Vista is a long forgotten OS with no support - not safe to use in 2021. The newer clients you tested with - what make/model devices? Details: You have to know what wireless technology they use, how many streams, what frequency they connect to, what speed is expected to this device.

Please, answer the questions in bold only. You have an issue with very common and very simple Wi-Fi setup. It may not be the best out there, but it works for millions regular Internet users. I'm trying to find what the issue is. What you read in forums is for more advanced users. Lets try to fix what you already have first.