What's new

ac86u vs ax86u

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

freebil

Occasional Visitor
Hello. I would like to ask if the ax86u is better or worse for wifi5 clients. If it is equal or better, I will buy ax86u for future proofing. My main wifi5 client is a macbook pro 2019.

Hello. I would like to ask if the ax86u is better or worse for wifi5 clients. If it is equal or better, I will buy ax86u for future proofing. My main wifi5 client is a macbook pro 2019.

The future is WiFi 6e.

I would stick with the AC86U until then.

OE

No, the future is PNTR (Plutonium Nanotube Transmitters), but for now, the near future is WiFi 6e. :)

To 'future-proof' at all, I would buy an RT-AX88U instead.

There are plenty of us who are doing just fine with the RT-AC86U. AS for myself, most of my equipment is 2nd hand (I volunteer at a not-for-profit that refurbishes donated PC's) so it will be some time before WIFI 6e (or PNTR) becomes a necessary feature in my home.

If you already have a good, newer working WiFi 5 router, a Wifi 6 router at this time is a waste of money. I'd even say a 6E router may be an even bigger waste of money when they come out as I'm sure they'll be tri-band and all super premium priced.

Most new devices are still AC, only the most premium one's seem to be getting any AX support. Even Pixel 4a, just out is still only AC.

Best to hold out and upgrade when the 6E router prices come down or you get a great deal on a Black Friday type sale (like how I got my AC86U dirt cheap) Wifi 5 AC will do just fine for years to come.