What's new

AC86u Wifi problem

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

bubobih

Occasional Visitor
Hello, in past maybe a month i have a problems with 2.4 and 5ghz speed, i have fiber 100/40 and over lan i get it all the time (over speedtest) over wifi (5ghz) sometime it work sometime i get 50% or even less. I was using latest beta now i switch to latest stable release and its pretty same also im not an expert so maybe this can help to someone who can help me :)

5GHZ
KXQlgdC.png

2.4GHZ
T8LIZ02.png

I did factory reboot several times and i didnt change much things i even try all stock settings....

Just to add that my cpu temp is 60C when 2.4 or 5 ghz only ON. when i turn ON both cpu is 80+C. when i turn only 1 wifi (2.4 or 5) speed seems to be good. but both doesent work ok at all.

When going between versions it is best to do a hard factory reset (https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1039078) and manually configure. Do not use saved settings!
Merlin 384.19 is a good version for the AC86U.
Setting up WIFI use Dual Band Smart Connect. Set 5 GHZ to 80 MHZ on Channel 36 or 149. 2.4 GHZ at 20 MHZ on channel 1, 6, or 11. Under WIFI Professional for 2.4 and 5 GHZ disable Airtime Fairness and Universal (Implicit) Beamforming.

Hello, in past maybe a month i have a problems with 2.4 and 5ghz speed, i have fiber 100/40 and over lan i get it all the time (over speedtest) over wifi (5ghz) sometime it work sometime i get 50% or even less. I was using latest beta now i switch to latest stable release and its pretty same also im not an expert so maybe this can help to someone who can help me :)

5GHZ
KXQlgdC.png

2.4GHZ
T8LIZ02.png

I did factory reboot several times and i didnt change much things i even try all stock settings....

This is a Current problem with many Asus routers where they can't even route Gigabite because all their features are done in software and not hardware

Curious what consumer routers offer these features at the hardware level then?

When going between versions it is best to do a hard factory reset (https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1039078) and manually configure. Do not use saved settings!
Merlin 384.19 is a good version for the AC86U.
Setting up WIFI use Dual Band Smart Connect. Set 5 GHZ to 80 MHZ on Channel 36 or 149. 2.4 GHZ at 20 MHZ on channel 1, 6, or 11. Under WIFI Professional for 2.4 and 5 GHZ disable Airtime Fairness and Universal (Implicit) Beamforming.
Curious what consumer routers offer these features at
coment

from geekzone.co.nz/forums.asp

Last edited:
I didt factory reset several times and always when i setup first 24-48h all work as expected... Later problems start. Now i did factory by pressing resset button 30sec and i didnt change anything yet and all work ok for now from last night. But whatever i set its same (when i did it before) so i realy dont know what is a problem. Im suspecting that my router have some hardware damage, i never seen 84c when i enable both wifi... I even open it and manualy check for any damage, now i even set cooler from outside so temp is now about 60C.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!