What's new

Ac87U as mini vpn server?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

oversim

Regular Contributor
Hi, sorry for the strange question.. I have an Ac87U merlin firmware router, but I cannot use it as router (voip, my ftth provider already provided me an AVM device, etc..).
I would like to use it as openvpn "mini server", I'm trying several configs, but without getting it.
I tried to set it as "AP", but VPN options in menù disappeared: they're available only in "Router Mode".
Can I connect a cable lan to one the LAN port, set a fixed IP, and then configure OpenVPN Server daemon in this scenario?

You will need to double NAT your AC87 behind your second router which means a cable from a LAN port on your network facing router to the WAN port on your AC87.

Previously this would have made it difficult or impossible to run a VPN server on the AC87 but with the latest version of Merlin it is possible.

All you have to do is on your first Internet facing router is set up a port forward (VPN Server 1 = 1194 or VPN Server 2 = 1195 ) to the WAN IP assigned to your AC87 by your first router. This will be a private IP but with the forwarding you should be able to connect to your server.

I haven't thoroughly tested it but it worked for me but at least it will get you started.

Attachments

• How to double NAT two routers.txt
    4.9 KB · Views: 190
Last edited: