What's new

AC88u AiMesh Instability

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Michael Salinger

Occasional Visitor
I had a working RT-ac88u on the latest stock firmware, with no issues other than some parts of my house having weak signal /no signal. I purchased a second 88u and set it up in AiMesh mode (also on latest firmware). Backhaul is wired ethernet.

Since setting this up, the network had become increasingly unstable. Dropped internet, router resetting, devices w intermittent packet loss. Rebooting solves the issue for a while. The only thing I see in the logs is this:

kernel: portsLinkStaus=3

Any thoughts?

What is 'latest firmware'? What did you do to set it up (be specific)?

After flashing the firmware, you want to be on, did you do a full reset (M&M Config, see link in my signature for details)?

Have you tried another Ethernet cable?

Have you searched for other threads on that error message?

What is 'latest firmware'?

What did you do to set it up (be specific)?

Logged into the new router, installed new firmware, factory reset it. Logged into existing router, set up AiMesh, selected the new router, it sync'd, and then rebooted everything.

After flashing the firmware, you want to be on, did you do a full reset (M&M Config, see link in my signature for details)?

I did on the new router, but didn't on the old as it was already working on that firmware prior to aimesh. Wanted to see if there was anything else to look for before doing a factory reset of everything.

Have you tried another Ethernet cable?

Yes.

Have you searched for other threads on that error message?

Yes, didn't see anything specific for the =3 code.

Also try using AC88U LAN ports 1-4... 5-8 seem to fail.

OE

And, continuing from @OzarkEdge's input above, try disconnecting the AC power plug from the router (but leave the power button 'on') and wait a couple of minutes. This too has been known to fix the 5-8 port issue(s).

I'm still waiting 386 firmware official per my AC-88U :mad: , 385 yet.

All other router in my net are with release 386

So I did a factory reset on everything last night. So far I'm not getting the same network drops - however I am seeing an issue with my Google Home /Chromecast devices. They work just fine on their own, but I can't see them /modify the settings from the Google Home app. This worked fine before the rebuild. I thought I wrote down all my settings but I must have missed something... Any ideas?

So I did a factory reset on everything last night. So far I'm not getting the same network drops - however I am seeing an issue with my Google Home /Chromecast devices. They work just fine on their own, but I can't see them /modify the settings from the Google Home app. This worked fine before the rebuild. I thought I wrote down all my settings but I must have missed something... Any ideas?

Could re-install the Chromecast device.

(I find Google's stuff to be a nuisance, partly because they dumb everything down and obscure stuff, and partly because they constantly change the context/presentation of stuff as they fumble forward in their grand plan to obscure their assimilation of us.)

OE

Could re-install the Chromecast device.

(I find Google's stuff to be a nuisance, partly because they dumb everything down and obscure stuff, and partly because they constantly change the context/presentation of stuff as they fumble forward in their grand plan to obscure their assimilation of us.)

OE
Other thing I'm seeing is short internet drops (while still seemingly connected to wifi) from some devices...

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!