What's new

AC88u from Asia

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

chrisnasah

Occasional Visitor
Hi

Can anyone confirm whether router purchased from Asia is coming with the option to choose the region?

Why is that different to others, is it to do with firmware and what happens when someone was to update the firmware?

Thanks

consumer router manufacturers have all locked their routers. You'd have to either get a custom made one or build your own or get non consumer. Even mikrotik has 2 variants of their wifi routers now, one that is locked (US version) and international version that is unlocked. Ubiquiti would lock theirs too as they're from america.

Firmware isnt different, just wireless region is locked but for consumer routers regardless of which version they all have the same settings. The AC3200 doesnt follow UK laws but is still sold in the UK, at a hefty price.

I asked this as I have seen it mention in here and also another forum where the router from Asia allowed them to choose the region under wireless settings.

I asked this as I have seen it mention in here and also another forum where the router from Asia allowed them to choose the region under wireless settings.

world wide they will be coded to country of sale , you can still change the region in the settings but the country codes embedded in the code wont change the available channels or power of the wifi

world wide they will be coded to country of sale , you can still change the region in the settings but the country codes embedded in the code wont change the available channels or power of the wifi

Until we run into the grey market - or someone buying in the EU, and then moving to the Middle East region, where the requirements are different...

Another thread there is a discussion there...

This is all turning into a real mess...

In response to OP. Yes, my 88 purchased in Shanghai about 8 weeks ago does have country selection options.
The permissible channels are not correctly implemented for every country but at least the country selection is present.
Of course this will change if the latest Asus firmware is installed and I guess the latest boxes shipped directly from Asus will be restricted.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!