What's new

AC88U kernel: net_ratelimit: number callbacks suppressed

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

follower

Very Senior Member
Sys log.
There is no other error messages except following errors.

kernel: net_ratelimit: 239568 callbacks suppressed
kernel: net_ratelimit: 242672 callbacks suppressed
kernel: net_ratelimit: 243971 callbacks suppressed
kernel: net_ratelimit: 241160 callbacks suppressed
kernel: net_ratelimit: 243223 callbacks suppressed
kernel: net_ratelimit: 243441 callbacks suppressed
kernel: net_ratelimit: 241822 callbacks suppressed
kernel: net_ratelimit: 240918 callbacks suppressed
kernel: net_ratelimit: 242841 callbacks suppressed
kernel: net_ratelimit: 242142 callbacks suppressed
kernel: net_ratelimit: 241527 callbacks suppressed
kernel: net_ratelimit: 242384 callbacks suppressed
kernel: net_ratelimit: 242738 callbacks suppressed
kernel: net_ratelimit: 240362 callbacks suppressed
kernel: net_ratelimit: 242855 callbacks suppressed
kernel: net_ratelimit: 239100 callbacks suppressed
kernel: net_ratelimit: 242689 callbacks suppressed
kernel: net_ratelimit: 236877 callbacks suppressed
kernel: net_ratelimit: 240185 callbacks suppressed
kernel: net_ratelimit: 242518 callbacks suppressed

I have various network environments. One of my network systems is getting crazy lol. :mad:
If it happens I lose all of internet connections and get it back in 1~2 mins. I'm pretty sure it has been happened after update firmware 3.0.0.4.384.45717. It happens 1~3 times per day irregularly. I suspect it's a kind of loop issue. But I can't find which device causes this loop.
Network environment.(I can get physical ip addresses as many as I can)
ISP----->A switch------>AC88U(different physical IPaddress), AC1900P(different physical IP address)
AC88U settings.
1. AIProtection disabled.
2. IPv6 disabled
AC88U firewall settings.
1. Firewall enabled.
2. DoS Protection disabled.
3. IPv6 disabled.
4. Respond ICMP disabled.
I did these.
1. NVRAM clear.
2. Change a switch to a different one. The switch is fine.
3. Disconnect devices one by one.

Result.
Works nothing.

Any idea? I'm ready to hammer AC88U.

Last edited:
XBOX ONE X with a wired connection is suspicious. But I'm not sure. Anybody has an issue with XBOX ONE X?

I think I found it!
The problem is Google Home, Google Home mini and Google Home hub. I removed all of them from the network. Those Google devices kill not only Wifi but also Router. I will keep watching the network for a while.
The following bug has not been fixed yet!
https://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-keep-google-home-chromecast-from-killing-your-wi-fi/
Go to hell Google. Can ASUS fix this issue with next firmware for me? ;)
Anybody having this issue?

Hello, thank for this information.
My google Home is on its way so I will update you if I experience the same issue.

I already have some reboots problems with my Xbox wired so it remains suspicious in addition.
I noticed that disabling the spanning tree protocol was better with the Xbox if it can help as well.

I am a bit lost and don't really know if I have to hate Microsoft, Google or Asus, but what a shame that we're trapped with such issues !

Hello, thank for this information.
My google Home is on its way so I will update you if I experience the same issue.

I already have some reboots problems with my Xbox wired so it remains suspicious in addition.
I noticed that disabling the spanning tree protocol was better with the Xbox if it can help as well.

I am a bit lost and don't really know if I have to hate Microsoft, Google or Asus, but what a shame that we're trapped with such issues !

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/stop-microsoft-from-killing-my-router.57598/
I saw your 'Link UP and Link DOWN' log. Do you use 'Instant-on mode' instead of 'Energy-saving mode'? It usually happens when you use Instant-on mode. Change the mode to 'Energy-saving mode' and check the log again. Can you tell me your network environment such as wired devices, wireless devices.

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/stop-microsoft-from-killing-my-router.57598/
I saw your 'Link UP and Link DOWN' log. Do you use 'Instant-on mode' instead of 'Energy-saving mode'? It usually happens when you use Instant-on mode. Change the mode to 'Energy-saving mode' and check the log again. Can you tell me your network environment such as wired devices, wireless devices.

Yes I actually use instant on mode, since my console is able to update and to download games while in standby mode.
I wish I could keep it on.

I tried earlier to disable it and indeed the message did not appear in the log anymore.

I have 4 devices wired (static DHCP): NAS, Xbox, Computer & TV Tuner
then 4 devices connected on wifi (24h lease): 2 phones, 2 laptops. Soon my Google Home.

What I don't get is why the Xbox will provoke random crashes with instant on mode enabled. Seems to be related to this auto-negociation activity but normally the router should handle that.

Last edited:
Yes I actually use instant on mode, since my console is able to update and to download games while in standby mode.
I wish I could keep it on.

I tried earlier to disable it and indeed the message did not appear in the log anymore.

I have 4 devices wired: NAS, Xbox, Computer & TV Tuner
then 4 devices connected on wifi: 2 phones, 2 laptops. Soon my Google Home.

What I don't get is why the Xbox will provoke random crashes with instant on mode enabled. Seems to be related to this auto-negociation activity but normally the router should handle that.

1. TV Tuner? Are you talking about IPTV Set Top Box?

2. https://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/console/console-turns-off-unexpectedly
Read the end of solutions.

1. TV Tuner? Are you talking about IPTV Set Top Box?

2. https://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/console/console-turns-off-unexpectedly
Read the end of solutions.

Thank you, but the xbox seems to crash the router (with these frequent auto-negociation requests), and it crashes the router only when it's in standby mode (downloading something).
Actually for now 20 days seems to work fine thought, but I fear that after a reboot of my router it will enter this instable mode again.

For the first question it's actually a Tuner to stream an IPTV signal to my devices via Plex server on my NAS.
Seems to work good and the issues existed before I installed it.

Thank you, but the xbox seems to crash the router (with these frequent auto-negociation requests), and it crashes the router only when it's in standby mode (downloading something).
Actually for now 20 days seems to work fine thought, but I fear that after a reboot of my router it will enter this instable mode again.

For the first question it's actually a Tuner to stream an IPTV signal to my devices via Plex server on my NAS.
Seems to work good and the issues existed before I installed it.
You must enable IGMP Snooping and IGMP on your Router if you use IPTV.

Are you talking about this control: "Enable multicast routing (IGMP Proxy)" ?

I did not enable it yet but my TV signal works perfectly fine though, I don't get what it would change exactly.
I have this impression reading documentation that this protocol would free a bit my bandwidth but that it would stress the router's cpu, am I right?

Thank you

Are you talking about this control: "Enable multicast routing (IGMP Proxy)" ?

I did not enable it yet but my TV signal works perfectly fine though, I don't get what it would change exactly.
I have this impression reading documentation that this protocol would free a bit my bandwidth but that it would stress the router's cpu, am I right?

Thank you

I'm talking about both 'Lan>IPTV>Enable multicast routing (IGMP Proxy)' and 'Wireless>professional>Enable IGMP Snooping'
If you don't enable them all of IPTV packets go to every port 24 hours. It means your router works more. If you enable them the IPTV packets only go to the Set Top Box.
Not using IGMP Proxy and IGMP snooping you may have following symptoms.
1. Game lag or disconnection.
2. WiFi lag or disconnection.
3. IPTV lag.
In case of 'Lan>IPTV>Enable multicast routing (IGMP Proxy)', you need to contact your ISP or same ISP users for proper settings.
Because the settings are vary. It depends on ISP. You will know the difference easily if you check the traffic.

I'm talking about both 'Lan>IPTV>Enable multicast routing (IGMP Proxy)' and 'Wireless>professional>Enable IGMP Snooping'
If you don't enable them all of IPTV packets go to every port 24 hours. It means your router works more. If you enable them the IPTV packets only go to the Set Top Box.
Not using IGMP Proxy and IGMP snooping you may have following symptoms.
1. Game lag or disconnection.
2. WiFi lag or disconnection.
3. IPTV lag.
In case of 'Lan>IPTV>Enable multicast routing (IGMP Proxy)', you need to contact your ISP or same ISP users for proper settings.
Because the settings are vary. It depends on ISP. You will know the difference easily if you check the traffic.

Thank you very much.
I tried these settings and it seems to work fine. Unfortunatelly as I then reboot the router, I can't compare the traffic, seems that statistics from before were deleted.

I will let you know if it is the solution for these intempestive reboots but I need to wait a bit as these reboot happened randomly once a day or a little les sometimes.

At the same time I enabled the roaming assistant as I have a wifi repeater (Asus as well). Do you think it's a good idea? I enabled it both on the repeater and the main router.

PS: I have my Google Assistant for 2 days now (Lenovo Smart Clock) and it seems to work fine without flooding the router for now. Do you still have the problems you described with your Google Home?

Thank you very much.
I tried these settings and it seems to work fine. Unfortunatelly as I then reboot the router, I can't compare the traffic, seems that statistics from before were deleted.

I will let you know if it is the solution for these intempestive reboots but I need to wait a bit as these reboot happened randomly once a day or a little les sometimes.

At the same time I enabled the roaming assistant as I have a wifi repeater (Asus as well). Do you think it's a good idea? I enabled it both on the repeater and the main router.

PS: I have my Google Assistant for 2 days now (Lenovo Smart Clock) and it seems to work fine without flooding the router for now. Do you still have the problems you described with your Google Home?

You're welcome.
1. Rebooting issue: Let's talk about it if it happens again. It happens with WOL or Wake on Pattern Match sometimes. Disable all of the options that are related in WOL on your Desktops and Laptops Network Adapter Property.

2. Roaming assistant and Smart connect: I disabled them. Because if I enable 'Roaming assistant' and' Smart connect' devices lose internet connection so many times. It's like this.
a. WiFi signal bar on the devices shows Full but internet doesn't work.
b. Devices can't find the nodes properly.

3. I removed all of Google home devices(Original Google devices suc, not 3rd party devices). There is no issue because I removed them all. That issue comes with Original Google devices.
Google knows about this issue. Google Engineering Team is still investigating it. I'm not sure when they fix this issue.

Last edited:
You're welcome.
1. Rebooting issue: Let's talk about it if it happens again. It happens with WOL or Wake on Pattern Match sometimes. Disable all of the options that are related in WOL on your Desktops and Laptops Network Adapter Property.

2. Roaming assistant and Smart connect: I disabled them. Because if I enable 'Roaming assistant' and' Smart connect' devices lose internet connection so many times. It's like this.

3. I removed all of Google home devices(Original Google devices suc, not 3rd party devices). There is no issue because I removed them all. That issue comes with Original Google devices.
Google knows about this issue. Google Engineering Team is still investigating it. I'm not sure when they fix this issue.

1) I still have my Xbox on quick start mode, I'd like to keep it like that since it's better to use and I can pre-download updates and games.
I think it used to be a problem but for a month it seems to work well I don't know why. I heard that having a simple switch between Xbox and router could fix it but it's not really an esthetic solution...

2) Same for smart connect, but then we have to use 2 different SSID for 2,4GHz and 5GHz right? I would rather have only one if it's possible.

3) I actually saw the video you posted, this is really weird Google is not acting.
May be I don't have this problem yet because the device is new (heard that it becomes bad with standby time). Or may be because Lenovo is the manufacturer.
Isn't there any possibility to make a rule on the router to avoid abusive requests from the device?

(thx again for your time, until now I was learning it all myself but it's much better to share these insights and get some experience with others)

Thanks, just configured it again, it seems that this smartconnect feature is now much more stable than last year !
May be thanks to the change follower helped me to make.

You're welcome.

Quick follow up after your support here:
- no more crash with my router ! thank you :)
- I added an AP (RT-AC66) to manage my wifi alone and configured it as you suggested, without smartconnect or roaming and with IGMP Snooping for both devices, I use the really stable firmware from "John952", it's perfect !
- I have been using my Google assistant (Lenovo Smart Clock) for 3 weeks now, and I don't experience any problem of router flooding as suggested with your experiences and videos. Lenovo may have a different way to proceed or they might have implemented a fix.

Thank you again !

Quick follow up after your support here:
- no more crash with my router ! thank you :)
- I added an AP (RT-AC66) to manage my wifi alone and configured it as you suggested, without smartconnect or roaming and with IGMP Snooping for both devices, I use the really stable firmware from "John952", it's perfect !
- I have been using my Google assistant (Lenovo Smart Clock) for 3 weeks now, and I don't experience any problem of router flooding as suggested with your experiences and videos. Lenovo may have a different way to proceed or they might have implemented a fix.

Thank you again !

You're welcome.
There is a new firmware 3.0.0.4.384.81039. Some users have issues with it. I think we need to wait.