What's new

AC88U Link aggregation

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

vellanix

Occasional Visitor
Hello!

I need to connect my Qnap NAS to the AC88U router with both ethernet lan.

I configured the link aggregation on asus router (lan port 1 and 2) and also on the nas side.

During the configuration on the qnap nas it ask me for "desired hash policy for 803ad trunking" and I can choose beetwen:

Layer 2 (MAC)
Layes 2+3 (MAC+IP)

What I have to choose?
thank you

802.3ad
802.3ad mode is an IEEE standard also called LACP (Link Aggregation Control Protocol). It includes automatic configuration of the aggregates, so minimal configuration of the switch is needed. This standard also mandates that frames will be delivered in order and connections should not see mis-ordering of packets. The standard also mandates that all devices in the aggregate must operate at the same speed and duplex mode and works only with MII link monitoring.

LACP balances outgoing traffic across the active ports based on hashed protocol header information and accepts incoming traffic from any active port. The hash includes the Ethernet source and destination address and if available, the VLAN tag, and the IPv4/IPv6 source and destination address. How this is calculated depends on transmit-hash-policy parameter.

Note: layer-3-and-4 transmit hash mode is not fully compatible with LACP. More details can be found in https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/networking/bonding.txt

Source: http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:Interface/Bonding

During the configuration on the qnap nas it ask me for "desired hash policy for 803ad trunking" and I can choose beetwen:

Layer 2 (MAC)
Layes 2+3 (MAC+IP)

What I have to choose?
thank you

Layer 2 (MAC) - the NIC's on the QNAP will bind both MAC addresses to the same IP address

802.3ad
802.3ad mode is an IEEE standard also called LACP (Link Aggregation Control Protocol). It includes automatic configuration of the aggregates, so minimal configuration of the switch is needed. This standard also mandates that frames will be delivered in order and connections should not see mis-ordering of packets. The standard also mandates that all devices in the aggregate must operate at the same speed and duplex mode and works only with MII link monitoring.

LACP balances outgoing traffic across the active ports based on hashed protocol header information and accepts incoming traffic from any active port. The hash includes the Ethernet source and destination address and if available, the VLAN tag, and the IPv4/IPv6 source and destination address. How this is calculated depends on transmit-hash-policy parameter.

Note: layer-3-and-4 transmit hash mode is not fully compatible with LACP. More details can be found in https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/networking/bonding.txt

Source: http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:Interface/Bonding

Hmm. I have a QNAP NAS (4.2.0) and an AC88U and I have totally different indications in the port trunking configuration on the QNAP. When I initially configure the trunking group, I am offered an option in the drop down box of IEEE 802.3ad. When I chose this option, a trunking group is defined as "Interface 1+2 (1GbE). I then configured the AC88u and all was well.

Hi
I have link Aggregation configuration on the Synology nas
RT-88U-HP-1820-DS-1815 and work fine

Attachments

• hp.jpg
    hp.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 1,760
Hi
I have link Aggregation configuration on the Synology nas
RT-88U-HP-1820-DS-1815 and work fine
I feel like a complete noob. I didn't realize I had to set-up the bond on my Synology NAS, I just thought 2 IP's were normal. Thanks for this!

Can I use the AC88U's link aggregation with a semi-managed network switch?

I am using a Netgear JGS524Ev2 and from what I understand, LACP is not supported - only Static LAG. Does the AC88U support it?

I am using a Netgear JGS524Ev2 and from what I understand, LACP is not supported - only Static LAG. Does the AC88U support it?
It's a good question, because so far what I know is that it's not enabled yet for AC87/88U/5300.
I'm using balance-alb at the moment on my NAS

PS: And I must check AC88U, but AC87U has no support of 802.3ad https://www.asus.com/support/faq/1014536/

Replied through TapaTalk from SM-G920I

Last edited:
Hello, a basic question. If I connect the server to the AC8U router through the aggregation of links, will all the data traffic in both LAN and WAN circulate through the aggregation of links?

Hello, a basic question. If I connect the server to the AC8U router through the aggregation of links, will all the data traffic in both LAN and WAN circulate through the aggregation of links?
There is only one 1GB WAN port, how could there anything be faster than 1GB?

Did you ever figured this out? Having the same exact config issue. My old 8port Zyxel switch worked just fine with LACP and the RT-AC88U but that 24port Netgear I think is a no go.