What's new

AC88u Merlin QOS bandwidth limitation issue

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Oferlaor

Occasional Visitor
I'm using firmware 384.13

QOS mode is set to bandwidth limitation.

I have one station that has "Steam" on it. To avoid it taking the entire bandwidth I tried to set a bandwidth limitation. I set it up with 3Mb/s download and 1Mb/s upload limit. I tried all the queuing disciplines (using codel).

However, that machine is pulling 60-90Mbps easily without a problem. I ultimately set a limit of 5MB/s (40-50Mbps) limit on Steam itself, but was wondering what might be set up incorrectly or if there is a specific issue in the latest firmware that is not working correctly. I definitely remember this working in older versions of Merlin Asus firmware.

I'm using firmware 384.13

QOS mode is set to bandwidth limitation.

I have one station that has "Steam" on it. To avoid it taking the entire bandwidth I tried to set a bandwidth limitation. I set it up with 3Mb/s download and 1Mb/s upload limit. I tried all the queuing disciplines (using codel).

However, that machine is pulling 60-90Mbps easily without a problem. I ultimately set a limit of 5MB/s (40-50Mbps) limit on Steam itself, but was wondering what might be set up incorrectly or if there is a specific issue in the latest firmware that is not working correctly. I definitely remember this working in older versions of Merlin Asus firmware.

Have you only set up one limiter for this station, and if so how did you choose this station (ip, or mac adress)? Is it a wired station or do you connect wirelessly ?
Do your station have a static ip. Wired ethernet, 5 GHz and 2,4 GHz all have different mac adresses...

I havent tried limiting just one client on this fw, but have not had any problems using limiter on the whole network segment (e.g. 192.168.1.* as the target).

It is a wired station.
Selected by MAC address.
Just the one station is limited.

I assume you already have done a factory reset with the initialize box ticket, and a new manual config (not read in some old backup...) after you installed the latest fw. So the router is in a good state...

Then try to assign your station (client) a manual ip in the Lan -> DHCP section. Then delete your old limter and create a new one to limit that specific ip. Also keep in mind it sometimes takes some time before the limiter actually work after applying it...

The earlier mentioned network segment example, will however guarantee everbody a fair share of the total available bandhwidth at any given time...

Last edited: