What's new

AC88U - Wireless Problems (deauth)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

dffvb

Occasional Visitor
Hi there,

I migrated / updated to the latest Merlin WRT (384.17)

Right after this I had some trouble with my PC (Asus PCE 88 Card), and some Apple devices as well as my Mate 20 Pro. These hickups went by.

However the Mate 20 Pro keeps making problems, in that way, that it connects to 4G or shows Wifi signal, but no internet (Wifi+ is disbaled). Connecting via Asus App aint possible. Since I made a few tweeks (like DNS filtering), I decactivated them, and still had the problems. Now I have fully resetted, the router, and only changed the following:

SSID / Password
Guest Network
Bluetooth Co-existence
WPS deactivate
UPNP deactivate
SMB / FTP activate
IGMP Snooping; Mu Mimo;Explicit Beamforming disabled

However I still have the problems. I am not too sure whether it is partly connected to DFS (weather radar).

Anyway, thats what the log says:

May 16 14:18:24 syslog: WLCEVENTD wlceventd_proc_event(386): eth2: Deauth_ind XX:XX.XX, status: 0, reason: Class 3 frame received from nonassociated station (7)
May 16 14:18:27 syslog: WLCEVENTD wlceventd_proc_event(420): eth2: Auth XX:XX.XX, status: 0, reason: d11 RC reserved (0)
May 16 14:18:39 syslog: WLCEVENTD wlceventd_proc_event(386): wl0.1: Deauth_ind YY:YY:YY, status: 0, reason: Deauthenticated because sending station is leaving (or has left) IBSS or ESS (3)

I have a ton of the first two messages....

I already googled the errors, however I have to admit, I didnt really become much smarter. Maybe someone can explain this? Or even better, provide me with a solution :)

Many thanks in advance

Last edited:
Hi.
Don't have an answer unfortunately, as I am having the exact same issue. Joined to post this, but you beat me to it.
I'm currently on Merlin 384.16 on an AC88U.

5G seems fine, but 2.4 is having major issues with this. It is affecting every wifi device I have using 2.4 (Cameras, laptop)
I was able to switch one of the cameras to 5G and it is no longer having issues, but the other 2 cameras get 50-75 disconnects per day now. The laptop is also having similar issues, but when it's not on the cameras are getting as many disconnects, but still.

This is happening from a factory reset as well, so no dirty flashes. At this point I need to see how far back this goes firmware wise, and how far back I can revert to.

I've manually set things to the same settings that were rock solid on the older firmware. The one thing I noticed is that b/g protection is checked and grayed out, whereas I never had that checked in the past, but I did several jumps from 380.58 to this, with factory resets between each one, so I'm at a loss as to what is causing this.

Hi. I have similar issues on the AX88U, WiFi issues with poor performance, dropouts with devices disconnecting and even the range. I too did factory resets and can’t update beyond 384.15, as soon as I go back to this everything is fine

Just to pitch in my team experience. I had major problems with 2.4Ghz. Some devices would work poorly, some would not connect at all. Same as everyone else posting in this thread. I tried everything and I mean everything. At the end I sent it back. After waiting for 3 weeks I got a completely new device. They never said what was the problem.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Hey j-voorhees13,
So You're saying 384.15 seems to work fine, just anything after that causes these issues?

If so, did you just dirty flash back to 384.15, or did you do any factory resets to go backwards?

I may look at going backwards to a stable version, so At least it will be reliable again.

I have also been having loads of problems on my RT-AC88U with the wifi signal, I finally lost my sh^T today and decided to sit down to try and work out what is going on.

Random wifi disconnects affecting various different devices, Samsung S10e, various IOT devices, I initially tried changing wifi setting etc but that didn't make any difference.
Checked the log and loads of "syslog: WLCEVENTD wlceventd_proc_event" events matching up to the wifi disconnected devices.

I have 1 x RT-AC88U and 3 x Rt-AC68U nodes.
I disconnected all the nodes, made no difference.

It is pretty easy to pick up if the problem is solved as there are disconnects in the log about every 5 seconds.

Decided to go back in firmware, issues stopped totally in 384.13, load 384.14 and they are immediately back again in the log.

Same thing with the Asus Firmware Version 3.0.0.4.384.45717 is fine, upgrade to Version 3.0.0.4.384.81116

I hope that this helps.

JohnB

I have RT-AC66U-B1 .I use it from version 384.13. Now i am with 384.17.
I have not had any problems with any of them. I don't see any problems with wifi range or stability. I use it as a router. I have a Diversion and skynet.
my speed hasn't slowed down either.
Аfter each version upgrade I do a nuclear reset.

I have RT-AC66U-B1 .I use it from version 384.13. Now i am with 384.17.
I have not had any problems with any of them. I don't see any problems with wifi range or stability. I use it as a router. I have a Diversion and skynet.
my speed hasn't slowed down either.
Аfter each version upgrade I do a nuclear reset.

Can you perhaps have a look in your log and see if you are getting any "syslog: WLCEVENTD" events?
If you aren't getting a lot of them you may not even notice.

JohnB

Can you perhaps have a look in your log and see if you are getting any "syslog: WLCEVENTD" events?
If you aren't getting a lot of them you may not even notice.

JohnB

Hi John,
I have them too, but it has never affected the router's performance.
My work is mainly on the device that has an error. But I have never noticed any problems with it.

To give a quick update:

I had given my Mate 20 a fixed IP, and didnt get the "cannot connect" error anymore, however there were many disconnects. Had a couple of days a working PC, but this weekend it was really bad, so I went back to 384.13. Here everything works (until now, like couple of hours).

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing. To recap:

1. It could be because you are using the same ssid you used on an old router and clients are confused. I mean yes this is a possibility, however in the past I also had problems when changing the ssid (on other routers), since the clients remembered the MAC.

2. I am copying from reddit

2.4GHz connection issues:

1. Change wireless mode to 'Legacy' (Wireless -> General -> Band = 2.4GHz)

2. Change channel bandwidth to '40 MHz' (Wireless -> General -> Band = 2.4GHz)

3. Change control channel to 1, 6, or 11 (Wireless -> General -> Band = 2.4GHz) (l = lower band, u = upper band)

4. Wireless -> Professional -> 2.4GHz -> disable Explicit beamforming and Universal Beamforming

5GHz connection issues:

1. Wireless -> General -> 5GHz-1 or 5GHz-2 -> Select 'Legacy', 'N only' or 'N/AC mixed' in Wireless Mode

2. Change channel bandwidth to '40 MHz' (Wireless -> General -> Band = 5GHz-1 or 5GHz-2)

3. Wireless -> Professional -> 5GHz-1 or 5GHz-2 -> disable Explicit beamforming and Universal Beamforming

Its the old story about Wave 2 features, I have tried this. Didnt help for me.

I am quite fed up, I returned to stock Asus WRT, it has brought only small improvements, however now my PC with 88 pce card connects only to 2,4 Ghz or 5 Ghz on 433 Mbit. I have been watching this now for long enough (two years, also my many Musiccast, one day they are there, one day they aren't... Looking for a reliable alternative now (not Ubiquiti).

I went thru this pain using 384.16 & then 384.17 on 2.4GHz band only, where all my Leviton dimmers, ring doorbell camera and Bowers & Wilkins speaker will intermittently connect. I had installed everything clean, no upgrades and still issues every day.
Settings:
No beamforming enabled
Channel set to 6
Bandwidth set explicitly to 20MHz
Rest kept as default

Problem remained for few weeks when I found this thread and tried 384.15 and everything works but 5GHz conflicts with TMo cell enhancer that also uses 5GHz. I was torn on which version to use and finally went back to my trusted 68U with tomato and all is well. Just waiting for some fix to come thru.

Also tried ASUS firmware 3.0.0.4.385.20490 and that felt much more bloated and without any way to install diversion and other tools, I quickly removed it.

Hope to see some progress with 2.4GHz fix in next version

As odd as it may seem, giving fixed IPs helps to reducne the impact of the problems, respectively leads to other logs:

Jun 10 10:51:13 acsd: There are still associated scbs, avoid channel switch(txfail_thresh)

I have too always micro deconnexions-reconnexions on the lan, maybe linked to this problem? always not solved?

Hey j-voorhees13,
So You're saying 384.15 seems to work fine, just anything after that causes these issues?

If so, did you just dirty flash back to 384.15, or did you do any factory resets to go backwards?

I may look at going backwards to a stable version, so At least it will be reliable again.
Sorry for the delay, I’ve done both dirty and factory resets and both are fine as long as I don’t go beyond 384.15

I desactivated smart connect, and reputted two differents ssid for each frequence (2.4 et 5G). Less problems. (smart connect not reliable?)